Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Japan: where should I go?

Going to Japan: where should I go?

I'm taking my first trip to Japan in March. I'll be there three weeks. I'm going with a friend who lived there for five years teaching English, so he knows the place. We'll be spending most of our time in and around Kyoto. Are there any car or motorcycle related things to do in Kyoto or the Kansai region?

Administrator
    Sounds like a great trip. Never been to Kyoto but the great AE86 tuning house Carland, http://www.carland86.com/, is there. Be sure to take no fewer than 1,000,000 pics if you go!

If you're still in the country at the beginning of April: http://nos2days.com/pc/press/english.html
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    If you're still in the country at the beginning of April: http://nos2days.com/pc/press/english.html
    you lucky person, sure to take a lot of pictures please oh and that show looks good as well

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    I'M COMING BACK ONE WEEK TOO SOON!

I know this is a long shot but, are you by chance staying with someone named Kevin in Fukuchiyama?

You have managed to find a remote place at the midpoint between Tokyo and Hiroshima. Great for cultural heritage. But I don't know if there are many recognizably named car places in that neighborhood.

KRS and Central Circuit are not too far from there.
    http://krs76.com/

Aquarius is close by, but their specialty is outside most people's interest.

DOME is around there somewhere too.

There should be plenty of tuning shops, and the size and impressiveness of the little shops never heard of overseas is close to the same as the names that are supposed to be impressive.

Invest in a rail pass, it will pay for itself quick, especially where you are going.

You may find yourself on your own if your friend works at a language school. That is supposed to be long hours and not much free time.
    Don't worry much about safety. According to the natives, the only criminal element you will see is when you look into a mirror. They'll all be afraid of you, unless you bump into a bunch of English studying school children on a field trip. They will hound you with questions their English teacher assigned them to ask any foreigner they see on their field trip.
    If you're loose in Kyoto or around Nara, you're going to be bumping into a lot of school field trip groups.

My friend used to teach English in Japan, but not any more. He worked for Nova until it imploded. He's a truck driver in Seattle now. We're just going for a vacation. One thing I'm looking forward to is meeting Hiroyuki Genta, a former professional rally driver. Genta and my friend are good friends.

oh ok i just know someone who teaches english in the kansai area from seattle, this guy has some of my pictures on his computer that he still hasnt sent me lol.

I'm in Kyoto. I have another week here then I'll be heading home. Not too much happening on the automotive front. Seeing the sights and having a good time.

My first day in Kyoto, I saw a 1960s Ferrari GTO, Bugatti EB110 and a 1950s Aston Martin DB3 drive past at the same time. It looked like they were taking part in some sort of rally.

I saw a 1960s Crown pickup drive past me in downtown Kyoto, but I was in a bus and didn't have my camera ready. Yesterday I was out for a walk in the Arashiyama area and stumbled upon a Toyota Liteace van from the 1970s in excellent shape. I took pictures. I'll upload them when I get home.

I've been hitting some of the real life Photo Mode locations from Gran Turismo 4. While in Tokyo, I visited Shibuya and a portion of the Tokyo R246 race course. In Kyoto, I've been to Nanzenji, Gion and Sagano.

I haven't seen a single Isuzu passenger car since I got here. I know they don't make them anymore, but still, I figured I'd at least see a couple still on the road. But no. Just trucks. I've seen four Chryslers (two RHD PT Cruisers, a 300C and a 300C wagon), but no Isuzu passenger cars. Odd.

So, yeah, the lack of JNC in my vacation is a little depressing. Does anyone know of any classic car dealers in the Kansai area?