Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 70's Mazda coupe if you were going to build a piston version

70's Mazda coupe if you were going to build a piston version

So, I'm already thinking about my next project and I was thinking of another Mazda coupe, maybe a 73-77 Mazda 929, but I don't want another rotary, but at the same time I don't want a 4 cylinder car. I was thinking of something like a straight 6 conversion, but Mazda didn't make any straight sixes like Datsun's L series. The best I could think of is one of their V6 motors swapped from FWD to RWD with some kind of gearbox hobbled together.
    Either that or I could swap in a Ford V8, since Ford and Mazda used to be in bed together...

Anyone got any thoughts or ideas? Basically it would be something like a 240Z, but non rotary and NA.

I would say a capella coupe, but trying to find one, and trying to find PARTS for one would make the project a nightmare......Trust me.....

A Series 1 RX7 would be my next logical choice, but it would have to be rotary powered......

Early 626 coupe......very sexy little cars.....

121.....plenty of room for a six or eight.....plus quirky styling to boot....

can't go past 1300 coupe, funky, rare and light, a late motor conversion and you have piston rocket. too many get turned into rotaries (r100)

http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/images/pg17_01b.jpg
    http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/images/pg17_02b.jpg

EDIT: removed image tags since pics not showing

Quote Originally Posted by matsuda9
    can't go past 1300 coupe, funky, rare and light, a late motor conversion and you have piston rocket. too many get turned into rotaries (r100)

I can't see your pictures, but I do have a FA3TS 2 door that I always wanted to put a 4AGE* into but at the time I couldn't weld and couldn't find anyone to make the mounts. Later I found out that a 4AGE literally bolts into an 808!

*later got peer group pressured into putting in a 12A.

2.5-litre KL-ZE out of the Mazda 626 would be a good option. However...

Why the reluctance to use a 4cyl? Mazda makes some bloody good engines...few that pop into my head are -

- NB MX5 1.8 and 6spd, already a rwd motor so easy to put in, plenty of aftermarket stuff

"The BP-4W engine remained at 1.8 L (110 cu in) but received several minor updates. The engine compression ratio was raised from 9.0:1 to 9.5:1 by adding slightly domed pistons; the intake cam was changed to a solid lifter design with a stronger cam; the intake runners in the head were straightened and the intake manifold was mounted higher up. Mazda's Variable Intake Control System was introduced, which effectively gave a long narrow intake manifold at low rpm for better swirl, changing to a short, free-flowing manifold at high rpm for maximum breathing. Power output of the new engine was quoted at 106 kW (142 bhp) with 116 ftlbf (157 Nm) of torque."

- Mazda 3 2L, strong and reliable [lil sister has one]
    2.0 L: 145 bhp (108 kW), 134 lbfft (182 Nm)

- Mazda 6 2.3L, parents have one, torque, smooth and sounds fucking rorty as
    125kw from memory

- Mazda MPS3/6
    2.3 L: DISI MZR: 260 bhp (190 kW), 280 lbfft (380 Nm)

Would LOVE to see any of those engines in a Series I - III RX7

Quote Originally Posted by jdmrx2
    I would say a capella coupe, but trying to find one, and trying to find PARTS for one would make the project a nightmare......Trust me.....

A Series 1 RX7 would be my next logical choice, but it would have to be rotary powered......

Benn -

I've actually come across a few Capella coupes for under 5K, but yes, the prospect of buying parts for them scares me.

Bang on though about 121's.... Maybe one of those with a hot datsun six?

Geoff, I have a solution.

Every once in a while you let your mind wander and drift into dark places. I had completely forgot, and it was only some reminiscing about a car i fell-out-of-love with....the Holden-Isuzu Gemini that I once owned (Opel Kadett in Euroland). That led me to bring back memories of a favourite engine conversion.... The 2.6 Isuzu commerical motor swap.

Adapting this approach to a MAZDA is well worth considering. The bigger capacity 4cyls would be cheap and plentiful. You could probably pick up a smashed utility at the auctions for under a grand.

Hence my eureka moment this afternoon. The last late model 4 cyl ute i drove was actually quite fast. A Toyota hilux cab/chassis with 2.7 hi-torque motor. The engine code is 3RZ-FE (or just 3RZ for short).

For unbalanced views: http://www.performanceforums.com/for...php?t=67187561

For pics: http://www.jdmenginezone.com/.../toyota/3rz_fe-95+.html

This is going to be my vote. This 3RZ thing in an RX7 would be very cool provided it would fit under the hood (and you may need to dry sump it because it looks tall). Failing that my next vote would be 626 coupe...of which I know where there are 4 of them now.

Quote Originally Posted by ewokracing
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmrx2

Benn -

I've actually come across a few Capella coupes for under 5K, but yes, the prospect of buying parts for them scares me.

Bang on though about 121's.... Maybe one of those with a hot datsun six?
    Now we are talking!! A 121 with a triple weber fed L28 would be awesome!! Or a 6 throttle body injected NA RB25......

i still say (hope pics work this time)

This:

with This

the FE-DOHC is upto 170hp factrory (depends on the model).

short wheel base, simple 4 speed gearbox, light shell, 7K redline and you have a little rocket

They are hot wagons too

yah! someone else like me who doesn't instantly turn to the rotary engine!!

I don't have a picture unfortunately, but I built a series 1 Rx-7 with the supercharged V6 Miller cycle drivetrain from the Eunos 800 we got here, that thing flew! Nightmare job though!!!