Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newby from OZ

Newby from OZ

Hi all,
    another newby here from Australia. Have been recommended to this site by other forum members so if you don't mind, I may 'pick' your collective brains occasionally, as much of my knowledge is probably a little out of date these days, but hopefully I can add the occasional bit of useful stuff to the forum myself.

Apologies to the Datto boys, but I'm a bit of a Mitsu tragic from way back, having owned more than a few different models (mostly 1970's models) over the years along with Rallying a couple of Galants and a GTO along the way.

Anyway, after many years away, the bug bit again and have recently purchased a fairly tired GC Rally Car which is undergoing a full bare shell rebuild, hopefully being ready some time through 09'.
    Great to find such a comprehensive 'old school' forum, have enjoyed reading through many of the threads already.

Will post up some pics of some past and present 'toys' if anyone is interested and if I can work out how to reduce their size
    :?

Cheers, S

hi there,
    welcome and yes i'd like to see some pictures...especially the Galant's and the GTO!! :tu:
    cheers marty

Heres a few pics of past and present 'toys', apologies to anyone who may have seen them before.
    Production Rally Car, GA Galant 4G32 with twin D/Drafts

MKII GTO 'Group G' Rally Car, 2.2 heavily modded 4G52 with twin 45DCOE's, RX 5 rear end plus loads more

2.6 GC coupe road car

Cheap wagon (bought for under $200 when saving for first house) painted, lowered it and threw on some 200B SX mags

Mates car campaigned a few years back, 4G32, twin sidies, Magna V6 roller rockers, Nissan 4.9 (I think) rear end etc.

New toy before strip down to bare shell, ready for new steel weld-in cage

glad you made it to the forum sideways. Man that latest car of yours is nice. I'm jealous

are those sapporo wheels? What kind of lights are those up front?

Awesome cars. Rallying FTW! Welcome home.

Thanks guys, looking forward to reading through more of the stuff here though time is something I don't seem to have much of lately.
    Will post up more pics once the shell is back from getting the cage done.

The wheels (all 20 of them) are Sigma SE, not sure what series though.
    They won't be staying though, 14" and 16" Superlites are going on (14's for dirt, 16's for tar)
    The driving lights on the bottom are Cibie Super Oscars (design hasn't changed in decades but they're still a great driving light) and the top ones are a generic 'landing light' - which have been promptly thrown in the bin, they're useless, no reflective depth at all!
    Will be running the staggered set up similar to the one pictured on my old GTO but probably with Xenon inserts into Hella or Cibie lights.

The shell is actually in really good condition considering its done quite a few events, only one or two VERY minor rust spots in the bottom of the rear quarters and not too much underbody damage at all.
    Lots of holes to weld up though, seems no-one could be bothered welding brackets, captive nuts or plates anywhere - they just drilled holes and bolted or screwed stuff down everywhere :x
    Its also never been seam welded so once its back, onto a rotisserie and out comes the Mig

Cheers, S

i knew you'd find us :wink: :lol:
    -Matt

Yeah, figured there would be the 'usual suspects' around here somewhere. :lol:

its so nice to see old school cars on a work out specially doin the side ways!! nice pics sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Burabuda
    i knew you'd find us :wink: :lol:
    they are a bit slow down that way :wink: :P :roll: :lol:

MATT