Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my JNC (sort of): '84 GL 4WD wagon

Finally got my JNC (sort of): '84 GL 4WD wagon

The motorcycle is down for about a year while I save the money for a complete engine rebuild. So I needed a car, and fast. I saw an ad on craigslist for an '84 Subaru GL 4WD wagon with 283k miles on it for $895. I went to drive it this morning and was impressed. Despite so many miles, the car was in good condition inside and out. There's a crease in the body you can see in the photo and it's missing a trim piece, but those don't bother me. The engine is very stout, the brakes are good, and everything works. So I bought it. My only real complaint is how cramped the interior is. My left shoulder and arm were right up against the door. It's a small price to pay, though. I have no plans for the car other than keeping it running. It's going to be a commuter car for the work trip between Auburn and Redmond in Washington. It'll certainly get better mileage than the 8-12 mpg I'm getting from my '79 GMC pickup with a 454ci V8.

Re: Finally got my JNC (sort of): '84 GL 4WD wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Stax
    My only real complaint is how cramped the interior is. My left shoulder and arm were right up against the door.
    Welcome to the world of JNCs. :P

Re: Finally got my JNC (sort of): '84 GL 4WD wagon

Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    My only real complaint is how cramped the interior is. My left shoulder and arm were right up against the door.
    Welcome to the world of JNCs. :P
    Yeah, it really drove home the fact that most Japanese drivers aren't 6'0'' and 270 lbs. Still, this is my first Subie, so I'm pretty stoked to have it.

Administrator
    Congrats. Welcome to the club, at last

Did you notice it has a roof rack? That makes me cool and shit, right? When do the chick come running?

well then congrats and I had no issues with my 83 when I had it, I am 6'4" tall and about 260ish so I know what you mean for room, but hey I have a 76 that is smaller than that and I fit in there alright

If you need parts just let me know, there are a couple places up there that are good to goto for subaru specific service and parts. Including Aarons auto wrecking which is a subaru only yard

Thanks for the info. I just looked them up. They're only about a half mile from my bike shop, Jim's Southend Motorcycle. I'll be sure to update this thread if I ever need any help.

I forgot to mention, but it does have the 4-speed manual and the 1800cc engine, which, if I've done my research right, is the EA81.

yep all of that is correct, and if you get over there tell Zap that Baja says hi

Administrator
    When do the chick come running?
    You laugh, but the Cressida wagon got a thumbs up from someone with the XX chromosome the other day. In a Lorinser Benz no less!