Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: new celica owner

new celica owner

i finnaly got my hands on a sweet 81 celica coupe its in very good chape for being a midwest car and its age im very proud of the buy and have big plans for it :lol:

but i do have some Q; :? im looking to make it into a beast :twisted: i have always been a fan of powerfull cars and my intentions are to make this into a simple beast

im scared about the clearence issue in the engine bay mostly because im looking into dropping a 2jz or a 350 sbc(because of how easy it is) anyway

WHAT do you guys think i should do?

this is some of the things ive found it seems like theres not a lot of celicas out there

the guy with the v8 is crazy(in a good way) but here it is! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hgcmike#p/a/u/0/Q6a4_29SK7w

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=35309

I would suggest modifying the 22r, it can make some decent power. I also recommend the 3t-c, mainly because BRD Racing makes some killer parts for it. the jz engines can be a little pricey, but for a v8, in addition to a 350, the ford 302 is a very simple and common motor to work with. hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by poindextrose15
    I would suggest modifying the 22r, it can make some decent power. I also recommend the 3t-c, mainly because BRD Racing makes some killer parts for it. the jz engines can be a little pricey, but for a v8, in addition to a 350, the ford 302 is a very simple and common motor to work with. hope that helps.
    thanks for the reply but im looking in to at least have 300 whp i dont think i can gat that out a 22r so its either a 2j or a v8 the only reason i would a 350 is because im more familiar with it and not so much with the 302
    is there a size difference?

also whats the 3t-s?

the ford 302 is a bit smaller but it is a very easy and cheap engine engine to work with, you can easily do 300hp with a 302 with a stock bottom end. the 3t-c is the engine in the 80-81 corollas, they are a 1.8 liter 4cyl, not much hp stock but brd makes parts for it to get it to 600hp+. I thought it would make a good swap because it is weighs a whole lot less than a v8, and i was going to swap one into my 1st gen celica before trouble came up and I had to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by silveradobeast
    thanks for the reply but im looking in to at least have 300 whp i dont think i can gat that out a 22r so its either a 2j or a v8 the only reason i would a 350 is because im more familiar with it and not so much with the 302

also whats the 3t-s?
    Well personally I think a V-8 would be a mistake. Wouldn't look right in that engine bay and would make it nose heavy and not handle very well. The 2JZ can be done, but it is a tight squeeze. It is all somewhat on the heavy side for that car. A 3T-C is a excellent choice. They are 1.8 motors with hemi heads. Slap some dual carbs and maybe a turbo and it is definately a giant killer. Also another good motor to look into that also lends it self well to turbo is the 3RZ motor, 4 clyinder and 2.7 easy to find too.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtoy
    Quote Originally Posted by silveradobeast

also whats the 3t-s?
    Well personally I think a V-8 would be a mistake. Wouldn't look right in that engine bay and would make it nose heavy and not handle very well. The 2JZ can be done, but it is a tight squeeze. It is all somewhat on the heavy side for that car. A 3T-C is a excellent choice. They are 1.8 motors with hemi heads. Slap some dual carbs and maybe a turbo and it is definately a giant killer. Also another good motor to look into that also lends it self well to turbo is the 3RZ motor, 4 clyinder and 2.7 easy to find too.
    well the weight problem would be and easy fix! the reason why i want a v8 is because it would be different it would sound good and have lots of torque and cheap
    a 2j in the other hand would be sweet but the price and not to mention the wiring and everthing that comes with it could be a nightmare
    i think if i can make a v8 work i will be happy
    i just havent seen any other v8 celicas other than the one on the link

how bout using a buick aluminum block 215 V8

Quote Originally Posted by bob380sx
    how bout using a buick aluminum block 215 V8
    what year?

there old i dint know to much about them but there light little 318lbs V8's. there is a old mini out here with one in it and it screams. currently for sale on craigslist heres a link you could hit him up for some info.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1579663771.html

some info on the motor from wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

Well it would definately be different. I just think it would turn into too much of a straight line car. I am also a fan of keeping it all in the family. I am from the camp that if you build a Toyota, use a Toyota motor.