Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting Information

Painting Information

Hi homies. This question is coming from Canada where, as with some of your locations, rust is an issue.

So, one of the main things I am grappling with is body work and painting on my baby blue TE31.

Do you guys all really get pro jobs if your car is less than say some mint beautful rare JDM? What do you guys on a budget with cars you love but didnt pay a lot for, what do you do?

Issue: there are areas of rust. Small, but there. Some dents in panels as well. Given that me matching paint to the colour on there is almost impossible with just weather fade etc and patchyness already I am wondering what to do.

Ideas

1: Just get some of the metallic light blue paint and try my best after grinding/ bondo-ing the spots, painting the individual say "door" or whatever.

2: Give the car a sand and then just primer the whole thing, either keep it badass primer looking, or attempt a take my time home job of painting it, but without having a compressor and such, who knows how.

I appreciate your opinions, this site is amazing, I check it every day!!

Matt
    :mrgreen:

Administrator
    It depends on what you want to do with the car. Keep it forever? Get that rust patch cut out and some new sheetmetal welded in.

Cheap paint jobs are rarely worth it in the end. If you want to save money, do the prep work yourself. Take off the trim and mask as much as you can and tow it to the paint shop.

You can still paint your car without a compressor and air gun. Ive read about it and one of my good friends has done this as well. Try the "$50 Roll-on paintjob".

More info is here: http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

Corvair:

My friends Miata:

Bug:

Bag, thanks for the link, that is an amazing wealth of info that guy has compiled!! This is what I NEED.

I have time, I live in a pretty bicycle friendly place and I can easily retire my car for a month or two in the summer assuming I can find a garage to paint in. Have painted with various methods before doing bicycles, and designs on longboards but didn't have a reference point for a car.

Sweet!! :tu:

No problem man. Be sure to post pics of your progress/results if you use this method.

Yeah assuming I go ahead with it I will make a thread documenting it. The idea is budget love for my corolla, hah. Despite being 32 years old the interior is basically mint, however the outside is lacking and with that looking smoother, better, it will be a great little city ripper.

I agree with you on that one.. my 81 Corona, runs great, got a mint interior, but the paint is oxidized and peeling. I too, am looking for a solution to the ugly paint woes. :wink:

perfect link and job for us budget d.i.y's guys like muha...
    if muscle car guys are using it then it should be good, cuz those guys are picky as fuck at times...

p.s. liked the way that curvier came out :tu:

God, no kidding on the muscle car guys comment. I was browsing obsessively about this today ever since I got the original link and one of the forums was a hot rod forum, they were ripping the whole idea most of them but guys who had done it were basically saying, "come to my shop, look at it, and then tell me it doesn't look good!"

I want to do something funky looking. Might as well right?! I really need to find someone in Vancouver willing to rent me a garage for a bit in the spring so I dont break the bank and can do it right.

If you do lay only primer on it, you shouldn't leave it on for too long because most primers are porous and will allow rust right through the primer.

-Robert