Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1979 Toyota Hiace

1979 Toyota Hiace

1979 Toyota Hiace camper is a lwb 2.0litre. Unseen eBay win! I collected it on Saturday from Hereford.

I picked it up from the 2nd owners, an elderly couple who had owned it for 25years! They used it to drive to Portugal every year reason for selling was they have recent brought a house down there. The 1st owners were a couple from the local RAF base apparently it spent most of the time in storage in one of the hangers!
    Condition wise its pretty good the interior is mint every thing is there fridge/hobs/sink, itís a 5 berth. Body work is pretty good, a few bits of filler in the doors and a few rust bubbles but nothing that canít be sorted. Mechanically itís in good order it was fitted with a recon engine around 30000mileS ago, although it does need a tune up. Only real problems atm are the pop-top roof struts are dead, although there are some poles to prop it open which is not ideal.
    It has plenty of power for a camper we were crusing comfortably at 70mph on the way home not to bad on petrol either I worked it was doing around 26mpg which isnít too bad for something brick shaped.

Plans? Get the body work sorted, eventually i'd like to get it resprayed but at the minute it can stay white. Also stubtle mods taking a leaf out of these guys books:
    http://www.stupidcrown.com/?page_id=1364

original dealer stickers 'Hereford Toyota Centre' - its lived in Herfeord all is life!

retro orange/ brown retro interior ;D

CC74Z

theres afew of these in NZ,seen 1 with a rotary in it afew years ago...

That is THE most awesome thing I have ever seen! :shock: Wish we got those in the US...

It's like a diner back there

Quote Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195
    That is THE most awesome thing I have ever seen! :shock: Wish we got those in the US...
    The Hiace never did make it to the US.I wonder why.It's such a great van.

Agreed, but even if we did get them, they would have put some massive bumpers on the front to meet regulations which for me would have killed it. Just wouldn't be the same you know?

Quote Originally Posted by heeroyuy01195
    Agreed, but even if we did get them, they would have put some massive bumpers on the front to meet regulations which for me would have killed it. Just wouldn't be the same you know?
    Yep,see what you mean.
    Here's a photo of my dad's '84,by the way:

Mechanically sound,but rust galore,I'm affraid.

Looks awesome with those foglights on. Is it rusted beyond repair?

Administrator
    So what color IS the boat house at Hereford? :lol:

That is one bad mutha, though. Love the high-roof, love the 3-across seating, and love the utter brownness of it all. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

Congrats on the acquisition!

Congrats for your buy. I'm considering buying this if I can make it to sleep 4 somehow.Its been neglected in the same spot for months if not years.