Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: g54 heads?

g54 heads?

OK, I am planning on selling the old head off my pickup, but I wanted to verify with the mitsu guys before I post an ad.

I bought this b2600 a few months ago and blew the head gasket. The head that was on the truck was not stock. Exhaust mani bolts up the same as oe, but the intake manifold is different. I got both an oem looking dual carb manifold, and an oem single carb manifold with the truck. It also has an aftermarket highlift cam, which the previous owner had cut valve clearances in the valve cover for. The engine was very high compression when this head was on the car, I dont remeber the exact numbers, but much higher then stock, I ran high octane.

Anyway, any ideas what this thing came off? I was thinking conquest or something. I can't seem to get ahold of the previous owner.

Post some pics of it. What year b2600??

And I'd like to see this dual carb manifold...

-Robert

Heres some pics of the head:

Here's the clearance in the valve cover for the lifters

And here's that mani, the other weber is on the truck right now

Oh, easy. I was thinking about doing one of these setups myself.

Basically you have a early head, they have smaller valves and dont flow as much. They were designed for domed pistons. I'm guessing they would be equal to the same dish as a starion turbo piston which was 7:1. The chambers were something like 43cc roughly. The later engines that came with the newer style valve cover are made for a flat top piston and have something like a 75mm chamber. So bolting on that early head to the later engine gives tyou a high comp setup, but apparently the head flow leaves something to be desired.

They changed over heads somewhere around 1980 or 1981

Cool setup though. How does it run?

One thing thats weird, i dont remember the early heads having studs for the rocker assembly. THe first sure fire giveaway of a early head other than the valve cover is the huge pcv cutout in the front. later heads use a tiny half moon plug and run the pcv off the valve cover.

It came off a early imtsu truck, or dodge colt from the 70s, g52b or g54b

Quote Originally Posted by city hunter
    They were designed for domed pistons.
    I think you meant dished. Haha... domes on a 54...

That valve cover clearance is probably for ARP studs, the portion that was cut off is not directly over a rocker arm, from what I can tell in the pics.

-Robert

Thanks. It didnt run well when I had this head on the truck to be honest, I think the headgasket was already just about blown when I got the truck though. The previous owner had put 3 head shims in too to compensate for high compression, the whole truck was kind of jimmied together . It currently has a stock head with a weber and header, runs good now.

Yeah I imagine ou would need to run premium and jet it quite a bit. It is asking a lot of that small weber to run high comp on a 2.6l The twin setup woulda been fun. Is that a twin weber manifold, or is that a twin manifold setup for stock solex carbs?

It's a setup for stock carbs, the webers were on there with adapters. Anybody interested in any of this stuff or should I just ebay it?

I might be itnerested if you have the factory carbs and linkage. Otherwise not really.

Too bad that manifold won't bolt to a newer head...

-Robert