Hey to you all!
My name is Timo, and I'm from Finland, which lays at the northern Europe.
I've looked around here and seems that the site is really lacking RT102/RT104's..so here we go with another (almost) fine piece of the model.
It's from the year 1975 and originally it had 16R engine with W40 gearbox (4-speed).
The previous owner was a good friend of mine, and he bought it for subject to change the engine and all needed mechanics for more performing one.
The body is about rustless and it was driven just 100 000 kilometres when my friend bought it.
Now, 12 years later, it's gone through some heavy changes.
The engine is swapped to 2,5 litre V6 (2VZ-FE) from '88 VZV21 Camry, gearbox is from Celica W5* series 5-speed one with custom bellhousing fit, (though the gearbox is pretty worn out) clutch is from Hi-Lux pickup, power steering is a combination from Hi-Ace and Camry parts :lol: ..and with like this, endless changes. It took total of 4 years from my friend to build the car, and when it was about to get ready, he got fed up with it and he moved along to Cadillacs..
Here's some pictures of this 'project', which is about to be ready for casual running at traffic next summer..the paint will follow on the next winter.
Wow, that engine bay is STUFFED... :shock:
How is it to drive? Goes fairly quick I assume?
Man that is nice...And I NEED bumpers like that! :tu:
Hard to say as it's not been in traffic at the time I've owned it. Fair memories from the time my friend built, it, it's quick.
Originally Posted by datsunfreak
The gearbox is worn out, 2nd gear does not keep in properly and reverse is 'yelling' badly when using it - I'd like to get a new gearbox before next spring :?
Hi fellows, and thank you for your comments!
Some progress, and some other things have happened since I last wrote to here..
- The oil filter location is changed, It's now where the old a/c complressor used to be, though it was never built to work and the compressors bearings died..so now the oil filter change is much more easier.
- New spark plug wires got installed, man but that was pain in the *** to do..took almost four hours to complete the job
- While installing the oil filter holder, I discovered that my custom-made exhaust manifolds had some small cracks. They got welded and now they are fine again
- The drive train shaft (cardane) was balanced and the front pipe of it was chaned by the machinery.
- Gearbox is now changed and working fine. Got the W55 gearbox in now from some Toyota Crown
- some new troubles also showed up:
- While the windscreen was changed, I found out that the frame is rusted pretty badly. That needs to get fixed at some point and that is also a very hard place to fix, by the way to get the windscreen to sit tightly again.
- My diff is broken. When I drive the car, it starts to keep noise and shake the whole car from 60 km/h speed onwards..so now I need to find a new rear axle with correct transmission ratio.
If you know someone from Europe (rather northern parts) having a rear axle of MX/RX12 Corona or RT10xCorona, I'm interested of buying one, if it's in mint condition, and with 0,41:1 or 0,39:1 transmission rate!
Nice car. I didn't know you could put a FWD Camry engine into a RWD Corona. That is gangsta. 8)
Well..it's not so easily done than you are making it sound. It requires lots of hours of measuring, adjusting and thinking..and hard work.
Originally Posted by KresSlyda180