Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm an Old School guy again! MY 810 WAGON w/constant updates

I'm an Old School guy again! MY 810 WAGON w/constant updates

So, if any of you were paying attention to my last thread I said I was looking at certain Datsun.... found her on Craig's List yesterday:

'78 Datsun 810! I looked into this peculiar car and did some research on it and LOVED the fact that it came with an L24E (pretty much the same engine in a 240Z but I'm sure you guys know that). I was in the market for an old-school Japanese car and have always loved the 510's but most in my price range were junk or didn't have engines... plus I just don't like the fact of little 4-banger (I'm coming out of a Z32 so I need some "oomph"!). i looked into Cressida's but honestly my loyalty has always been with Nissan/Datsun and it just seemed taboo to jump into a Toyo. So I was browsing for Datsun's... and well, the rest is history!

I only took a few pix with the camera phone so don't mind the quality! The car is super clean in and out:

Before the sale-

After the sale and gassing up-

I promise better pix tomorrow!

Just a few things I have to work on... the e-brake does not work so I have to fix that. Dent on the tip of the hood with chipped paint and the trim on the hood is missing. Rubber piece on bumper is missing on passenger side. Antenna doesn't work.

It has some American Racing wheels which look pretty decent for now. I would like to get some old gold Enkei mesh wheels (or something similar). I would eventually like to lower the car a bit. I'm interested to see some JDM counterparts and maybe follow example as far as looks... so if you have any please feel free to post!

Re: I'm an Old School guy again!

Quote Originally Posted by zetozeto99
    I looked into this peculiar car and did some research on it and LOVED the fact that it came with an L24E (pretty much the same engine in a 240Z but I'm sure you guys know that).
    The L24E is more or less a de-stroked L28E. It shares little with the 240Z's L24.

But it's cool. :mrgreen:

Congratulations! :tu:

That's nice man. Congrats on the purchase. If it was mine I wouldn't dull it down by putting any mesh rims on it, those on there are not all bad and certainly look a sight better than a set of generic mesh rims.

I would suggest a little lower perhaps wider wheels (of a non mesh description) perhaps some bolt-on flares. Stroke an L28 and biff that sucker in there on triple carbs or EFi turbo

Administrator
    Congrats on the purchase. I'm sorry you didn't go with the Cressida but that's a bad ass wagon!

Thanks, Guys! Ben, I have to stick with my Nissan roots! :wink: Not quite sure yet.... but I still think some gold faced mesh wheels would look cool. Although I'm starting to like the wheels on her right now... obviously I would want a wider stance eventually! I have to figure a way how to lower the car. I think an L28ET/5 speed swap would be awesome in the future... but that won't be for awhile.

Got up early this morning for an oil change and snapped some more pix!

Administrator
    Woo hoo, thanks for rockin' the JNC decal! The car looks even better in the clear pics. :tu:

Awesome! :shock: I like it a lot.

Nice car, I think the lights and grille look great.
    I can't recall ever seeing an 810 wagon around here although we may have got them.
    I think the wheels you have look quite good too, wide offset wheels and excessive lowering don't really go hand in hand if you want to steer the front wheels.
    I'd lower it and keep the wheels you have.

What's your car's build date? According to everything I've ever read, an 810 with rectangular lights and a hood ornament can only be a 79 or early 80. And I've done a lot of research. Sometimes cars with a late enough build date in 78 to be a 79 get inadvertantly titled as a 78. Once that's done and the records are logged, it's virtually impossible to change it. But your car is a 79. Don't get too hung up on the '240Z engine' thing. The 810 L24E has a front sump oil pan and no other engine will fit the car without chaniging to that type of oil pan and modification to the block for the oil pickup. Did I mention that I've done a lot of research on these cars? If your VIN is WHLD810-839001 or higher and your build date is 7/78 or later, it's a 79 not a 78, no matter what the registration says.

If you want to read about mods to 810s, this link will lead you to the info and the person who has done that type of research. It mentions what I said about the location of the oil pan sump and what is needed to be done if you really want to put an L28E or ET in an 810. It's not a simple bolt in, as I said.