Been working on the ’66 Crown brakes. Got all the brake and clutch hydraulic parts off. The rears came apart in a few minutes. But wow, these front wheel cylinders are kicking my tail! Soaked and soaked them, and couldn’t get the pistons to even move. Tried air pressure and that didn’t work. Considered somehow adapting a grease fitting and using that to push the pistons out but was afraid I might damage the aluminum castings. Finally had to make a tool (see pic below) to turn the wheel cylinders inside the cylinder and break them loose, and sprayed 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic trans fluid while turning until they came out. At least the cylinders look really good inside.

As bad as the pistons were to get out, the bleeders were even worse. Noticed that one wheel cylinder was cracked at the bleeder valve, probably done years ago trying to get the bleeder loose. These bleeders were tight! After about a week of soaking them, I had to move to more aggressive methods. Drilled a piece of flatbar to hold the wheel cylinder securely in the vise (see pic below). Heat the bleeder until it glows red, tap on the bleeder with a small socket, then quench it with a wet rag. Did this four times, and the last time put some beeswax around the bleeder so it would wick down around the threads (old mechanics trick). Had seen a uTube video online about putting a tight fitting drill bit down the bleeder hole so it doesn’t collapse while unloosening it, so figured it couldn’t hurt. Luckily the bleeders all came out (still had to put a lot on the ratchet to get them out). One of them damaged about half the threads somewhat, but luckily it still screws in and tightens up. These are the style with the round ball bearing under the bleeder screw.

Next to clean up the parts and hone the cylinders……………..

Can’t find any dust boots for the rear adjusters, so will have to try to make something from some left over wheel cylinder boots that I’ve squirreled away.

Pics are below, more to follow.