Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda Savanna RX-7 - Series 3 turbo

Mazda Savanna RX-7 - Series 3 turbo

Hey folks, just thought I'd post in here to say hello - being a Skyline person I usually lurk in the Datsun/Nissan forum, but I've just bought the latest acquisition for my collection of 1980s sportscars and thought this would be a more appropriate place to share it!

now I'm no stranger to Mazdas, having owned a plethora of turbo Familias (aka 323s) when I was younger, and currently have a couple of turbo Ford Lasers - the sister car to the Familia - kicking around. But I've never owned a rotary powered Mazda until now...

so without further ado, here it is, my 1985 SA22C RX-7, affectionately nicknamed the "banana", currently waiting on the wharf in Japan to be loaded onto the slow boat to New Zealand

I haven't got any photos of the engine bay unfortunately, but I'm sure most of you will have heard of the venerable JDM-only 12A turbo engine. for those of you that havent, it was Japan's most powerful production engine for a short time in 1982 before Nissan released the first iteration of the mighty FJ20ET. It was also a milestone for Mazda, being their first fuel-injected and turbocharged rotary engine.

During my search for a SA22C I got the chance to test-drive a few 12AT-equipped Series 3s, and I was unduly impressed by how smooth and refined the rotary engine actually was. I do have friends who own N/A and ported rotaries but the turbo engine came across as a completely different kettle of fish!

my Japanese agent has predicted 6-10 weeks before the vehicle gets to NZ, so in the meantime I'll be getting things ready for its arrival. I don't actually plan to modify the car much if at all, but I spotted a set of 15" SSR MarkIII rims on Yahoo Auctions Japan the other night and am considering buying them in preparation

stay tuned for another update once the car gets here...

Sweet car! I'd love to have a clean SA22 in my collection.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

Looks really clean and original Ed how many Km's on the clock?

hey Craig, long time no speak the SA22C's got 88,000 reported km on the clock.

i say 'reported' because you can never tell whether the speedo's been tampered with on the older cars coming out of Japan now.

Administrator
    Ooooh, 12A turbos! But a n/a SA22 is hawt as well. Excellent acquisition. Why banana? :lol:

"Banana" is a throwback to a remark I once made about a tiny photo of a canary yellow Series 1 in an old issue of some random performance car magazine I had lying around. At a quick glance the shape and the trademark black bumper caps made it resemble... yup you guessed it.

Also a neat coincidence that "banana" rhymes with Savanna :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by Orion
    "Banana" is a throwback to a remark I once made about a tiny photo of a canary yellow Series 1 in an old issue of some random performance car magazine I had lying around. At a quick glance the shape and the trademark black bumper caps made it resemble... yup you guessed it.

Also a neat coincidence that "banana" rhymes with Savanna :lol:
    Does that mean you are going to peel your savanna? :lol:

^^ haha, never thought of it that way before :lol:

anyway, it's finally here - picked it up from the importer's yard on Friday, it only took a month from the time I purchased it until arrival, which was a nice surprise as we were expecting a 6-10 week lead time. Shipping schedules must be quite good this time of year.

Was quite stunned at how tidy it is in the metal; of course there are some minor niggling/broken things here and there (mostly to do with the interior) but apart from that it shows all the signs of being an authentic 88,000km vehicle (mint headlining, gearstick knob, pedals etc). The diff is much "whinier" than I'm used to, but this is apparently not of any concern.

first thing I did over the weekend was to fix the non-functional dash backlighting, eventually traced this back to a faulty dimmer switch. Amusingly enough, the previous Japanese owner's solution to the problem was to fit a couple of funny blue spotlights to light up the dash... ops:

Now begins the slow process of returning the car back to factory condition, or as close as possible. I'm thinking of stripping out the silly little back seat to register the vehicle in NZ as a legitimate two-seater - does anyone know if you can get the USDM rear storage bins etc in grey colour trim, instead of maroon GSL-SE spec?

parts hunting is going to be an interesting process indeed...

so, photos or it didn't happen! check my flickr for the complete set

Wow! So clean!
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

congrats...and its beutifull :tu: :tu: