Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for the 2TC/3TC gurus

Question for the 2TC/3TC gurus

Are the starters prone to heat soak on these engines? I know it's right under the exhaust manifold, so it seems it might be?

Here's what happened...

I drove for about 20 minutes on the highway today and I stopped at a drive-through window. I shut the car off for about 2 minutes and it would not restart (as in: turn the key and the starter does nothing). I went through the usual stuff (checked all the electrical connections, tested the battery voltage, etc.). That did nothing, so I pushed it into a space, and got a ride home.

When I came back an hour later with a truck and trailer, for giggles I put the key in to see if it would start and it fired right up. :?

I know on some older domestics that have the starter close to the exhaust, they are prone to heat-soaking the starter and having similar symptoms. You just have to wait for the starter to cool down enough to work.

Is this common with 3TC cars? Am I due for a new starter? Do I need to make a better heat shield? Your thoughts?

If it matters, it's an '80 Corolla (TE72).

Administrator
    I think you hit the nail on the head. AE86s also have the same problem.

F*ck. Mine does the same thing. Sometimes won't start after sitting overnight, completely cooled down! New starter on mine, all components are good to go.

Sometimes it starts after I've lost my mind battling with it. It seems to feed on sadness...

Mine is original from 76 and it will act up every once in a while. I will just sit there and push the starter button a bunch of times and eventually it will kick. But usually it will only do that when it is cold.

What about using the generic starter blankets? I have one I was going to install on my old camaro.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyotamike
    What about using the generic starter blankets?
    Definitely a reasonable option. If it happens again, I'll know more if it's heat soak. I drove it for 30 minutes straight on the highway today, turned it off and it started fine. And started fine 4 more times in the span of 15 minutes. :?

The hardest problems to diagnose are those that are intermittent. :x

Quote Originally Posted by TacoDelRio
    It seems to feed on sadness...
    So far, that's what my "TE72 experience" has been like... :P

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyotamike
    What about using the generic starter blankets?
    Definitely a reasonable option. If it happens again, I'll know more if it's heat soak. I drove it for 30 minutes straight on the highway today, turned it off and it started fine. And started fine 4 more times in the span of 15 minutes. :?
    It usually happens only if you've been idling. Waiting at the drive thru (or showing off at a car show) usually results in it, but the latter is far more embarrassing

My Ae86 had the same issue, starter blanket fixed the problem, I also ran a wire straight to the solenoid I keep it capped off next to the battery, normally if you get heat soak the straight wire will still start the car

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    It usually happens only if you've been idling. Waiting at the drive thru usually results in it
    Makes sense. I'll give that a shot to see if it replicates the problem. :tu:

I will most likely end up with the blanket treatment, but I probably need to fix a few minor oil leaks first. Don't want to just have an oil soaked blanket around the starter... :P