Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing overspray from lights?

Removing overspray from lights?

Curious as to some of the methods you guys employ to do this. I bought a car with a dodgey paint job, but the worst of it is they got overspray on the lights/trim.

The trim I can just scuff and repaint. But I'm curious what you've used to get the paint off the plastic lenses without damaging them.

I've used acetone before, but it puts a haze on the plastic that takes forever to buff off. Simple Green? Paint thinner? Little help? :P

Try toothpaste. 8)

I always use this product...

i dislike buying products for one-time use
    so when i needed to restore some plastic lenses i wet-sanded them then used a series of paint polishing stuff i had and made the lenses look fantastic
    -Matt

i used BRASSO polish to remove over spray since i had som laying around and it worked grate it even polished the crome...

https://www.gtdawnbrite.com/shop/images/T/REC76523.jpg

or you can go the cheep way and use paint thiner but you must remove the parts so you can get in every cranny...

x2 on the claybar.

But the lenses can be polished quite aggressively

Check out these instructions for shaving the lettering off MX5 tail lights. It's got instructions on how to polish up the lenses again after the initial sanding. Basically you sand with increasingly finer grades of paper, then do a final polish.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/lenspolish.html
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

I'll suggest trying the least aggressive method first and being patient. The one thing I have noticed with polishing plastic is that once you do an aggressive polishing job with coarse polish and work down through the various grades, the polished finish lasts six months, the lens turns dull and rough looking, and you have to polish it over again. If you can get the paint off without breaking or deglossing the surface of the plastic, that is going to do the least damage and leave the lenses in the best condition.

Overspray clay is a big chunk of play-dough for your right hand and a spray bottle of final inspection spray in your left hand. Mist on the spray, then wipe the clay through the moistened surface. It is meant to pull the overspray off any smooth surface. The clay is so sticky that you can not wipe it over the surface without the lubrication of the spray. It is not abrasive and will not leave any scratches or mar the surface, if used correctly.

It is also something everyone should have next to the polish and wax on their garage shelf, because it is extremely useful for removing sap, tar, fallout, and anything else that drips onto a car and won't come off with soap or cleaner wax.

Quote Originally Posted by arsonist63086
    i used BRASSO polish to remove over spray since i had som laying around and it worked grate it even polished the crome...
    Got some of that in the shop. I'll give it a bash.

or you can go the cheep way and use paint thiner but you must remove the parts so you can get in every cranny...
    I'm taking them apart anyway, so that's no big deal. Just not sure what paint thinner is going to do to the plastic. I've seen it haze some plastics, and not others.

Quote Originally Posted by JT191
    I'll suggest trying the least aggressive method first and being patient.
    Thanks for all the tips. I'll go through them until I find something I like, definitely starting with the easiest/least caustic first.

I know with styrene (the car modeling background comes in handy once in awhile) you can soak the parts in Simple Green them the paint rubs off with a toothbrush. So if Brasso fails, I may go there next. :tu:

Have you tried that body work clay or Turtle Wax Rubbing Compound, that is usually good at removing any extra paint. :tu: