Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS55 Crown L40 gearbox swap to W50 or W58

MS55 Crown L40 gearbox swap to W50 or W58

What options are open here - have tried to trawl the majority of foras but get lost in coding and abbreviations.
    Just need simple explanation -
    If there is a simple explanation ...

Re: MS55 W40 transmission swap to 5 speed from Celica/Supra?

Your Crown has a 2M engine right? My GUESS is that any transmission found in any M engined car will fit.

Example: In my 1973 Corona, I pulled out the 2M engine and installed a 7M engine. The transmission lenght was the same, so I used the stock Corona driveshaft. The difference was the 5 speed W56 that I put in with the 7M is wider at the driveshaft end for the 5th gear, so the mount points are different.

But the bellhouseing bolt pattern should be the same for all the M engines and W transmissions. That would make a W58 transmisison from a 7M-GE engine bolt up to the engine fine, but you may need a custom mount.

Sounds good - and promising. That means that I can go hunting for a transmission. My engine is in really great condition so no need to upgrade - just need the 5th gear for overdrive so the engine doesn't rev so high. The gear lever should probably be able to fit without major alterations.
    Hmmm ...

Having a 5th gear is a big part of why I wanted to do the engine swap on my car too.

In my car the shifter was further rearward for the 5spd transmisson than it was for the stock 4spd. My car probably had a W50 as well. I cut the transmission tunnel to make room, but the shifter still came out of the stock opening in the console fine. It's just further back than before.

You can check my build thread to see photos.

Just trawled your entire thread - great reading and good pictures of the gearbox solution.
    I guess I will just need to get hold of a 5 speed tranny. Don't want to go to the engine swap and really only need a 5th gear with o/d.
    And then again, I will also consider lowering her so I need to find the right springs.
    Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Holmen
    Just trawled your entire thread - great reading and good pictures of the gearbox solution.
    I guess I will just need to get hold of a 5 speed tranny. Don't want to go to the engine swap and really only need a 5th gear with o/d.
    And then again, I will also consider lowering her so I need to find the right springs.
    Ideas?
    Thanks!

Just do the transmission swap. Even though an EFI engine makes more power and gets better fuel mileage, the old carburetted engines make a great noise. Plus an EFI engine is a big and expensive project for most people.

If you do some research, you can find a W series transmission with the shifter in the proper location so hopefully you won't have to cut any metal. ( If that's important to you )

Start here: http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Tech/Toyota-boxes.php

You can see all the different shifter locations available!

For springs, I would start with King Springs in Australia. http://www.kingsprings.com.au/

Did my search on the net and a few options come up - I can find Celica TA40 with 5 speeds, presumably W50. But will the belhousing fit?
    Or else, I've found a couple of Supras - it's a MA61 and a MA70 and they should both have the W58 gearbox available.
    And I belive that maybe these will fit belhousingwise etc.

Here try this..

http://northbaymotorsports.com/gearboxes.htm

I am doing the same thing, just going with a W58 behind my 4m. I'm pretty sure that I will have to completely fabricate a new cross member though.

Still a bit confusing. If I get a tranny from a MA61 or a MA70 from a Supra, will the belhousing bolt straight on? If it does, then I don't see the big issue in getting tails fat shortens and making a custom gearbox mount.
    Think I might write to the guy with the link you gave me - thx.

Basically the biggest thing that I take from this, is that if you have an "M" or "R" engine (4m, 5m, 7m, 20r, 22r) it will fit. You may have to use a different bell housing if you take it off an "R" engine. If it is off an "M" the bell housing never changed from 2m through 7m. These are all straight bolt up swaps (minus the cross member).

Hope that helps. I am actually going to pick up a W58 either this afternoon or Thursday, so I will take a pic of the two side by side so you can see the difference.