Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 808 Wagon(with a few new mods) and a 1200 Wagon

808 Wagon(with a few new mods) and a 1200 Wagon

I thought I may aswell start a thread with my 3 Mazda's. My 1971 Series 1 RX2 Coupe, which is a matching numbers, stock 12A twin dizzy powered model. Its had an exterior respray some time ago, maybe 10 years or so, and the interior has had some restoration work done on it aswell. Since buying it I have done a bit of a tidy up on the engine bay, restored the air cleaner etc and just given it a good once over. It has 2 sets of wheels, the Simmons FR17's in charcoal with redwall tyres and its stock steelies with trim rings and caps, at the moment it is riding on the steelies off my 808 wagon, which aren't the right grey colour but are whitewalled which I like, but the originals will go back on soon. The only mods are an exhaust and it is lowered and rides and drives very nicely, no squeaks , no rattles, a pleasure to drive.

Next is my 1978 808 Wagon which is a 1 owner original 68k car, Yolk yellow with a brown interior. Always loved wagons and always wanted an 808 wagon with a 13B Bridgeport done in a 90's style. Stock body and paint with no rust, I've added RX3 stainless gutter trims, the venetians and I also have the tailgate trims which I just finished restoring on the weekend, so they'll go on soon. It has 15in Simmons B45's in a 4in and 7in and is lowered about 2in all round, I also chuck the stock steelies on when I feel like the nanna look. I bought it as a bog stocker, and had the 13B put in, it makes just over 180hp and pretty much everything is brand new or rebuilt with PWR coolers and a S2 RX7 5 spd box, its loud, but I like it like that and the bay is relatively stock looking, but will get a makeover when I redo the car. Next will be a Hilux diff with some 4.8 gears and hopefully a 12sec 1/4 will follow with some decent tyres. The interior is still 95% original, just the guages, RX3 steering wheel and I also had the dash top redone as it was cracked....plans are a respray eventually, in a factory Mazda colour, and I also have a complete series 1 RX3 front I might put on.

Tried the 17's off the RX2 on.....looked good, but not the look I wanted.

Lastly is my new little 1970 1200 Wagon, I just bought it recently off a young fella from Adelaide SA, who got it off the original owner, its done 91,000 miles, log booked and all original. Since getting it I've fitted the venetian, visor and fender mirrors, and just done an all round tidy up. The interior still has plastic on some trims, but the drivers seat needs a bit of repair and a retrim aswell as new flooring, otherwise is perfect. No rust, the usual few dents, and the chrome could do with a redoing aswell. It drives well, but the engine bay needs a good tidy up, but for now I just want to lower it on some 13's, whitewalls and the 1200 coupe hubbies I've got for it.

And thats about all from me for now

Nice cars and especially like the twin dizzy Rx2, nice reliable and simple... could cruise all day everyday without problems. I think the big wheels look a little out of place.... probably best replaced with some period Japanese wheels or the original steel rims.

Im not personally big on wagons, but they are nice examples !

Mate, I never get sick at drooling over your fleet of Mazda's. That Rx-2 coupe in that spec is in my top ten to own. Loving that 1200 wagon, neato!

Nice collection, Your RX-2 is AMAZING!!!

Thanks for sharing! :tu:

Hi mate, that RX2 coupe is sensational!!

I hope my coupe looks as good as that when it's finished!

Keep up the great work, and keep preserving those early Mazdas!! 8)

I really love your RX2 Coupe.

I dont know what it is with us Aussies and Simmons rims on rotaries though

:tu: Thanks Dave, it sure is a beautiful shape!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B1500boy
    Mate, I never get sick at drooling over your fleet of Mazda's. That Rx-2 coupe in that spec is in my top ten to own. Loving that 1200 wagon, neato!
    Thanks, but you can hardly call mine a fleet, when you have 55 of them, now thats impressive.....I look forward to the opening of the museum!!

Quote Originally Posted by benny_blanco
    I really love your RX2 Coupe.

I dont know what it is with us Aussies and Simmons rims on rotaries though
    Every country seems to have their iconic brand of wheel that always seem to pop up on rotors. I guess because Simmons were a local brand and could be made to suit.....I just got some V4's I'm going to restore, for me the 90's look of 15 inch Simmons wheels that are the pick, but I'd also love some OM17's too, and I would like a cool, period Jap set of 15's aswell....I think I'm going to become a bit of a wheel whore!

So BEWARE what are you adding next to your collection ? I've got to agree that rear/ side Rx2 shot really shows off your car. Its definitely painted in one of the best colours as well.

Are you the same person that used to own the nice (metalic blue?) r100 streeter a few years back that used to wear the BEWARE number plates ? If you are you certainly love building quality cars 8)

Yep that'd be me, the R100 was probably one of my biggest projects. After selling that and going over seas, I came back and had a go at VW's for a while, but the Mazda's were calling and I'd always lusted after an original style RX2 Coupe, and this one I have now was one I lusted over when it was for sale about 5 years ago, so had to have it when it came up for sale again last year.

Space permitting, I'd love another R100, but I don't see my funds being at a level that will allow me to get one in the near future, I'd settle for a nice 1200 coupe, like RRI200 in Adelaide. And I have a soft spot for RX3 sedan's as I had one for my first car, so one of them would be nice. I have a few plans for each of the 3 I already have above, so once they are done, and once I have some more garage space and cash, I'll go searching for something else.

Thanks for the kind words, and good luck with your 3 coupe resto, definately some hard work going into that one,
    Michael.

Whoa .. really nice cars you've got there .. especially the RX2 .. I wish I could find some nice wheels like that for my 121 speaking of which come check out my poo brown when ya got a chance