Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1984 Mazda 626 Coupe TWR

1984 Mazda 626 Coupe TWR

Hello all,

I occasionally drive this:

It's now a very rare car in the UK. There are 16 survivors, an unknown number of which are still running. I currently know of three, if anyone knows anymore please let me know.

Mine has a number of the TWR extras including the original Gotti alloys, spoiler and twin driving lamps in the grille.

I'm always interested to know more about this model.

Hope you're enjoying the restoration which is 80-90% complete.
    Later this year I'm hoping to complete 100,000 miles.

Kris

Administrator
    Welcome 626coupe! May I be the first to compliment you on that incredible interior! It looks CLEAN. Those wheels are interesting... original, you say? I don't believe the US versions ever had wheels like that.

The wheels look superb! Love the little spoiler too.

Good work!

Thanks guys.

To address the replies:

The wheels were in a bit of a state and I had to get them refurbished, so they're not totally original! (you should have seen the bill for such a sympathetic restoration)

The US versions I believe had two different styles of alloys. I'll have to try and find some pictures out, but if you go to mazdarecycling.com/wheels (?) you can see the two US styles there.

The interior isn't always that clean!

On Dan's question in the other thread:

It was a bit of a dog when I got it and I'm not sure whether I have any pictures from those bad old days.

The car was either kept in a shed (more like a kennel) or on a little access road in Kingstanding, Birmingham. In those days it was finished in the proper silver colour and looked pretty grim.

A lot of 626 Coupes suffer from rust around the back, but this was better than most in that respect and didn't look as though it had been parked in the sea for 6 months. Rust pockets and accidents have killed them all off in the UK.

It had been a well maintained car until around '97, with an extraordinary amount of providence, but it hadn't been used for 3 months when I got it in 1999. Professor Fatbloke and I went round it and got it knocked down to a 130 sale! I've probably spent around 10x that since on the respray and wheels mainly.

I've owned two others before that one which I've broken up for spares, but I'm running out of some bits now.

Re: 1984 Mazda 626 Coupe TWR

Quote Originally Posted by 626coupe
    It's now a very rare car in the UK. There are 16 survivors, an unknown number of which are still running. I currently know of three, if anyone knows anymore please let me know.

I'm always interested to know more about this model.

Kris
    Indeed, a very very nice car. My wife has the Sedanversion from it. Regular one will find a pretty good one here in Holland. The German versions where cool, they had AAS, Seatwarmers, CruiseMain, Airco and some had an electric antenna and powersteering.

BUT... to find such a car in this condition and the work devoted to get it in a state like this, my compliments!

Btw, Leicester is nice place with good people. :tu:

Hi Hans,

Thanks for the kind words. The car has been restored at a snail's pace for some years now.

You're welcome anytime to Leicester, I'm quite new here but it is a lovely county to live in - needs more garaging though!

Awesome Car there Kris, gotta love the 626 FWD coupes. I love to collect the Mazda sales brochures too, have just about the TWR items, great accessories that's for sure. I've got the 1983 GT coupe. Getting a bit thin on the ground over here too.

I'm really impressed with the good work you did on this one

Is it the 2.0 or 2.0i?

Hi, thanks for the kind words again.

My good friends at www.oldjapanesecar.com here in the UK have furnished me with a number of period brochures, so I'll have to get scanning. My (half-done) website will have some good bits in it at www.freewebs.com/626coupe. I'll stop plugging now moderators, it's not for profit or anything.

Mine is the 2.0 carb version. I understand that the 2.0i was a bit of terror in the temperamental UK weather with it's electronic airflow mixing system. :?