Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72' coupe from the PNW.

72' coupe from the PNW.

Well I picked this up a few weeks ago. It has been sitting for about 14 years out in the woods of Oregon. Before that I guess it was a "drift car" throughout the late 90's. did not see much street use and from the work on it I can tell. No evidence of collisions anywhere, but it has a fair bit of rot. The worst bit is in the trunk. floor boards are sound and surprisingly there is nothing.

I am not sure what motor I will be running at this point. I am toying with the idea of a 13bMSP naturally aspirated of course, or I do have a fully built Mazda 2.0L BP that is capable of about 600hp. It was in my last project that is now no more. We will have to see. What I do know is that the first thing I will be doing is stripping the car, then refabbing the trunk sheet metal. I plan on upgrading the suspension to something a bit more modern. Duel A-arms front and rear off of a NB Miata. I have already picked up the torsen rear diff, and the front and rear subframes will be coming later in the week. This is going to be the start of a great little project. though it will be slow going in the beginning, until about August.

Until then here are some photos.

Some really sweet fabricator thought they would shave the rails... it is horrible really. Still debating on sourcing some and rewelding them on.. looks to me like they did not grind them down all the way nor did they tack weld it together properly.. just filled in with body filler..

The worst is no trunk.

Cheers!

Sydney Australia tollerating the intollerant.

Re: 72' coupe from the PNW.

yes, refit the gutter rails.

Yeah it just changes the entire look of the car, and with the shape of the back side windows it just looks kind of off to me.

+2 to refitting the gutter rails, at first glance of the pics i could immediatley tell something wasn't right.

Will you be painting it Hershal(sp?) orange like the original colour? :mrgreen:

Looks to me the reason that there are no rails is because it's rusted out between the roof skin and the inner frame. Hope I'm wrong though.

Everyone keeps asking if I am going to repaint it orange.. lol It is like the one color I do not care for that much. My thought was a nice gun metal or dark metallic silver. But I will decide for sure the closer I get to that.

I have chipped away at a few spots around the roof and it appears that it is only surface rust between the roof and frame. But I will not know that 100% until I get all of the bondo off. I did find a fiberglass repair on the front fender where the radio antenna was. So that tells me they could not weld. The emblem holes they just filled with more bondo..

It is going to be a little bit more work than I was hoping, but I still got it for a killer deal, so no complaints here.

I pickup my miata subframes tonight! Then the restoration and fabrication process will begin.

interesting project. Part of me says keep it rotary powered as it's pretty special (an RX-2 coupe is such a good looking car). Part of me says that a BP powered hardtop is a great idea.

Hopefully the boot floor is the worst of the rust.

Yeah I am really leaning toward the BP. Only because I already have it, and it is a nasty motor. When I had it in my AWD car running a dump, most people thought I had done some kind of 4.6L swap into the car... It is a lopy, idles at about 1200 RPM.

But I got my front and rear sub-frames. got another really good deal on them. but just to get an idea, I put it up to the car.

These are the wheels I am going to mock the car up with. They are 16x6.5 with a +38 offset SE Miata wheels. The pics look worse than it really is. they only stick out about 1.5" - 2" past the fender edges. not nearly as bad as I was anticipating. So once I have the car up and able to put them up in place I will have a better idea of what I will be working with. I am leaning away from fender flares and more towards a proper flare of the OE fenders. Though I have not yet decided for sure.

My dream car 8) Looking forward to more updates.

You Peaked my interest. Miata Subframes?? Please Elabtorate? I'm VERY VERY interested in this because of the option for Modern Steering, Modern Suspension, and updated wheel selection!

So please 8) go on? lol