Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back when manufacturers SOLD decent cars- 1989 BFTB

Back when manufacturers SOLD decent cars- 1989 BFTB

[MOD EDIT]: rest of scans can be found at http://www.stangbangers.com/89_LX5-0_vs_Competition.htm

The year is 1989, and we had all sorts of all wheel drive and rear wheel drive goodness, flip up headlights, along with turbos galore. Manufacturers were into making fun cars and not so much into the SUV craze as today. Even Toyota, had 3 offerings back then, compared to zilch today. The manufacturers could of learned something from 20 years ago.

All in all, I think the Z32 should have been the twin turbo version and not the NA, it woulda been a fairer competition to us Nissan/Datsun guys. :tu:

ENJOY :mrgreen:

holy crap I totally agree 1000000% nowadays, these magazines are doing spreads on the typical camaro, challenger and mustang *YAWN* ok, so maybe the 370z, but still, BORING. what a difference 20 years makes! great post / share :tu: :tu:

Those were indeed the days!

The embarassing part is the Olds Quad 4 beat the Mitsu Starion in 0-60 :shock:

Wow...think of how things have changed.

- Pontiac, Olds, and Plymouth no longer exist
    - Toyota no longer builds a sports car
    - Mitsubishi no longer builds rwd coupes
    - Rx7 is no more
    - Celica is no more
    - Supra is no more
    - Ford no longer makes a FWD coupe (I think...)

The only constants are that the Zed and Camaro (both only after a long hiatus), Stang and Vette are still around.
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.

I grad-gee-ated hi skewl in '88 and gotta tell ya that most of us teenagers were rather unimpressed by the new cars produced within the remaining years of the Reagan era.

I'm sure part of that was because I grew up in a rural area where most of us kids were driving late 1960s or early 1970s stuff, much of which was powered by monster V8s.

Case in point: my best friend Allen's 430 cubic inch powered 1968 Buick Riviera circa 1987:

this was my sister's $350 daily driven (from 1983 until the early 1990s) 455 engined 1971 Firebird Espirit:

Also, here in pick-up truck country 429s from Torinos, 396s from Chevelles and 440s from Chargers had been pirated from passenger cars and bolted up into trucks since the start of the muscle car days. Even when it appeared that 1960s performance cars had all but disappeared from the road high school kids knew that the hearts of the beasts lived on under the hoods of 1/2 tons that hauled @$$ on Friday night and hauled hay Saturday morning. In the 1980s if a kid popped the hood on his 1967 Chevy C10 1/2 ton and there was anything smaller than a 327 it was rather embarrassing.

A high school friend named Shane was running a pug fugly '59 Ford 1/2 ton short/step that had left the factory with a six cylinder and three-on-the-tree. He had removed the six and dropped in a 302 and C4 from a '69 Cougar but left the stock rear end. Nothing could beat him from a dead stop but at 60mph that little V8 was wrapped up tighter than a snare drum!

I believe part of the reason that new car makers were hyping performance at the time was because 1960s and 1970s muscle cars were being yanked out of cow pastures and barns and being given high dollar restorations.

Up to the early 1980s here in Oklahoma it really wasn't uncommon to see a running 1970 GTO being sold for $1200 or a running 1969 Camaro with a six cylinder and three-on-the-tree for a grand.

By the mid-1980s however muscle cars were capturing the average car enthusiast's and the general public's attention as rat rods are today. They were just super hot.

Car makers in the late 1980s were not pushing performance solely for own sake but as a response to the public's renewed love affair with vintage street warriors - at least partially.

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    Wow...think of how things have changed.

- Pontiac, Olds, and Plymouth no longer exist
    - Toyota no longer builds a sports car
    - Mitsubishi no longer builds rwd coupes
    - Rx7 is no more
    - Celica is no more
    - Supra is no more

The only constants are that the Zed and Camaro (both only after a long hiatus), Stang and Vette are still around.
    You forgot the MR2 is no more :wink:

holy crap I totally agree 1000000% nowadays, these magazines are doing spreads on the typical camaro, challenger and mustang *YAWN* ok, so maybe the 370z, but still, BORING. what a difference 20 years makes! great post / share
    Gee you lot are hard to please - youd think people would be happy there are still SOME RWD's around.

Disapointing really - instead of supporting those brave enough to still make SOMETHING to cater to the performance market, regardless of how expensive it is [i appreciate not everyone can afford a new 'vette, CTS-V etc], everyones bashing them for doing it. Id hate to see said cars extinct.

Down in Oz the mere-mortal is pretty much limited to the Commodore [G8 to you guys] SS, Falcon XR6 Turbo or XR8. Other then that you need big bucks [M3, IS-F, C63 AMG] or a fair bit of disposable income for things like an RX8, 370Z, MX5 etc. Otherwise, thats it - theres nothing left.

Toyotas been out of the game for a long time. More and more "peformance" cars are FWD now - i dont care what anyone says, FWD's WILL NEVER be preferable to RWD's, regardless of how good they are. If Ford US have their way, our RWD Falcon will be dead. If GM decides to tamper with Holden [to this point, thank god they havent], the Commodore will be dead too. Which leaves what, BMW and Mazda to fly the rwd flag. And thats it.

What disapoints me, and yes im thinking aloud, is the American industrys thinking. I dont know much about CAFE standards and shit, but from what ive been reading from most press releases etc its ohhhh too hard to get a RWD to be economical so well switch to front wheel drive. And there in lies the problem with American cars - no outside the square thinking.

If BMW can keep to CAFE standards with an ALL RWD line up, why cant the others?

Quote Originally Posted by kev
    They do still make one. And it is lightyears better than the Prob could have ever dreamed of being.

Focus Coupe, and it actually cost less than the '89 Probe!!! Exactly the reason Ford is the number one u.s. automaker right now!