Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyota Mark II twin Turbo

Toyota Mark II twin Turbo

Hello Y'all, I recentely imported a 1986 Toyota Mark II twin turbo automatic hard top sedan.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

The Engine is the 1G-GTE-u 2000cc with water to air intercooler, the car runs well but its quite a bit sluggish of the line, i will be doing a tune, fresh gas and checking all the connections/ couplers in the boost system, once on the gas, the turbo sounds quite loud and you have to floor the pedal for the car to actually start moving. I don't think its a Tranny issue as you can see the RPM slowly creaping up, when the tranny shifts in to second gear is moves faster and picks up speed. Even out of gear the engine revs slowly....hopefully some maintenance will yield some results Any one with experience working on these engines and willing to share info will be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.

Re: Toyota Mark II twin Turbo

Cool, congrats!

Besides getting the car running, what are your plans?

Also, how much trouble was it importing the car? Will it be road legal?

you'd be the second x7 mark ii i know of stateside, and you got the good model and a cool color combo for sure.

i have a lot of questions:

- does this have the ultra-rare 8" differential?
    - did the car come with a hood?
    - what wheels are those?
    - does the car smell like cigarettes and air freshener?
    - if you ever decide to sell, will you call me first?

your issue could be a massive boost leak, check ALL your hoses and couplers or make a leak tester. not to be flippant, but your slowness could just be because it's a 1G-GTE coupled to an auto trans. don't expect JZ acceleration from this engine. ever. maybe clean it up, drive it til it blows and swap it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matches
    Cool, congrats!

Besides getting the car running, what are your plans?

Also, how much trouble was it importing the car? Will it be road legal?

Plans are to get it detailed, polished/waxed, all needed maintenance, new tires, brakes and drive ir around for a bit...I have been importing cars and parts from Japan as a side line for a few years now but i mainly deal with Nissan stuff. This is my first toyota but so far i really like how solid ans smooth this car feels, even with the accleration issue.

As far is importing and registration is concerned...i have a dealer that handles everything from finding the cars in japan, arranging shipping to his shop there, prepping and packing the container, all necessary documents, clearing customs, shipping to his shop in Texas and His Dad assists in getting the cars federally registered. Need less to say its costly but you gotta pay to play!....and yes this car will be legally/ Federally titled to be driven on the roads.

Quote Originally Posted by lolumad
    you'd be the second x7 mark ii i know of stateside, and you got the good model and a cool color combo for sure.

i have a lot of questions:

- does this have the ultra-rare 8" differential?
    - did the car come with a hood?
    - what wheels are those?
    - does the car smell like cigarettes and air freshener?
    - if you ever decide to sell, will you call me first?

your issue could be a massive boost leak, check ALL your hoses and couplers or make a leak tester. not to be flippant, but your slowness could just be because it's a 1G-GTE coupled to an auto trans. don't expect JZ acceleration from this engine. ever. maybe clean it up, drive it til it blows and swap it.
    The paint and interior need cleaning for sure but its in good shape for the age....not mint but good!

Not sure about the rear end, but i can check tomorrow

Yes it's got a hood

I have not looket at the wheels closely but the center cap says XRAZ?? i'll verify brand this weekend.

It dosen't smell but there are a lot of used cigarettes in the ashtray

I will be selling the car so if you are interested contact me @512-767-0644. My name is Terrance.

I really think it's a boost leak, i know its no 2JZ but you actually have to floor the pedal for the car to start moving, but im sure i can fix it. Ill take some interior pics and post it as well.

oh wow, so it revs really high and crawls along? sounds like the transmission. the crapped out a340 in my ls400 does the same thing.

The wheels are SSR Longchamp XR-4Z, by the way.

The build plate should state whether it has an 8" (G series) diff as well. It's located next to the gearbox code usually.

oh hey, just wanted to say good luck working on the G engine. like seriously, good luck because you will need it. parts are hard to get if you can find them. there's a guy in SA that imports oddball japanese stuff for Cressidas, has an eBay store to sell it. you might be able to use him to locate replacement parts if you need them. also, use toyoDIY to get your part numbers. if you have the complete chassis code, might make it easier to get the right one the first time. and they have cross-referencing if you want to see about using a part that might be available on a US model, but the commonality seems pretty low.

looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Quote Originally Posted by lolumad
    oh wow, so it revs really high and crawls along? sounds like the transmission. the crapped out a340 in my ls400 does the same thing.

actually quite the opposite....it builds the revs quite slowly and moves slowly....its does this with the pedal nailed to the floor....not a tranny issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-minded
    The wheels are SSR Longchamp XR-4Z, by the way.

The build plate should state whether it has an 8" (G series) diff as well. It's located next to the gearbox code usually.

i looked at the rims and you are quite correct..they are indeed SSR Longchamps, thank you for sharing your knowledge, i will look at the build plate to verify the rearend. Thanks again.