Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toyota 2000GT with Chevy V8

Toyota 2000GT with Chevy V8

Here's an article printed in 1972 from a book called "The Complete Book Of Japanese Import Cars" (Library of Congress Catalog Card No. 72-89053).

Does anyone know if that car is still around? I wonder if he's regretting that swap now...

Re: Toyota 2000GT with Chevy V8

That's the difference between a million dollar baby and a hundred grand chump.

Kane

To much money and doesn't know how to spend it wisely? Definitely not how I would fix up one of those.

"Hindsight is 20/20"

It is too easy to call it a dumb move now, but remember, back in the 70s Japanese cars weren't considered worth keeping. I wouldn't have done it even back in the 70s because I don't like swapping in Chevy/Ford V8s in everything under the sun. But at the time it probably made "sense" to him. Consider there are also a few 2000GTs that were converted to convertibles, like in the Bond movie. Then again, it is because of people like that guy that cars become collectible.

And I suspect everyone on this forum is guilty of the same thing, by playing with their Hot Wheels or other toys that, if left untouched in their original packaging, would be worth $$$ (relatively) today. Or, how about all the engine swaps in "lesser" JNC, like rotary 510s, V8 S30s, etc. It is just a matter of scale...

The main thing that stuck out to me was the fact that the original engine "was getting tired" by 1972!

Were the early M engines that unreliable?

In the southern suburbs of Sydney Aust. ....late seventies / early eighties another 2000gt received similar treatment. The engine was an alloy Leyland V8, 4.4 litre I think. I remember reading about the car having a fire (engine bay? under dash? ) not sure if this led to the swap or was after.....
    Anyway! Happy ending apparently. Some time in the more recent past the value was realised and the original engine was restored back to the car, and the car repatriated to Japan.
    Cool story Hansel or what!? :lol:
    Jim

The first thing that came to my head was "Blasphemy!!" when I read the title. Was a little relieved it was a story way back. IMHO if I ever find an engine-less 2000GT a 2jz would be the only candidate I would consider, since I think a 4M would be hard to come by these days.

I think it's about time someone made fibreglass 2000GT shells like the Lancia Stratos kit cars etc. Then crazy engine swaps would be cool, instead of blasphemy.

plus 1 on the 2000GT kit cars (although I know I would never be able to afford one), Imagine you pull up next to a 2000GT at a stop light brandishing 10+ inch wide tires and a blow off valve so loud it would make any V8 car shudder in fear.

it might be wrong but still it beats letting the car waste away in some field right?
    actually... if the weight distribution is not ruined i`d even say the idea is good.