Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1973 Corona MKII build

My 1973 Corona MKII build

This saga begins many years ago when I bought the car from a guy in Oakland for $800.

The car was bascially ok, except for two major problems. A large dent in the left rear, and the engine dumped oil through every seam and burned so much oil that it looked like I was fogging for mosquitos.

So the 2.6l 2M engine needed to come out. Then also was the fact that at 70mph on the freeway, the motor was spinning at close to 4k (if I remember correctly.) At any rate, living with a 4spd transmission in this era was less than ideal.

Time for an engine swap!

Re: My 1973 Corona MKII build

I had bought the Corona to be my daily driver. My other car at the time was a slammed Nissan 240sx. Turbocharged, coilovers, and all that. Wasn't a very friendly daily driver on the awful bay area roads.

The Corona hadn't been much of an improvement. Terrible gas mileage, the oil and smoke, and a roaring engine at freeway speeds. A modern engine seemed like a good idea. (this was before people started using the term "resto-mod")

After some reserch, it seemed likely that any of Toyota's M series straight six engines would fit in the engine bay. So I bought a 1989 Supra with an auto transmission and a hatch full of spares. Only $500!

The spares included a 5spd transmission, driveshaft, clutch, and pressure plate. Plus some other odds and ends that the guy wanted to get rid of.

Work begins!

What a mess. This old engine had been leaking oil out of just about everywhere. Power steering had been leaking. Hopefully the engine still has some life left

Cleaning things...

New headers from Pacesetter. I cut the cam gear cover just because I liked the look. Not good for the belt, I know. I wouldn't do the same today

Starting to come back together. I had replaced a bunch of gaskets, rear main seal, and the timing belt.

Wow! That's awesome. Good price on the donor car and all the goodies that came with it. Good luck with the build. That's going to be a clean ride with tons of reliable power.

I like it already. :tu:

Oh man, you are going down the exact path that I hope to in a few months time. This is great!

I have a few questions that I'm sure you'll answer as a natural part of this process...

Ideal w58 shifter position. There are a few different ones, but there are two that are candidates. You have one, where the shifter hangs back, and one where it is more central on that cover. Have you measured at all which one would fit the stock shifter location best?

Driveshaft length. I'm told by another member that the w58 can use the stock driveshaft. It'd be nice to confirm that.

Good luck with the work! I'm excited!

Quote Originally Posted by 3f05q
    Have you measured at all which one would fit the stock shifter location best?

Driveshaft length. I'm told by another member that the w58 can use the stock driveshaft. It'd be nice to confirm that.
    Because all of these photos are from the past, I can actually answer now! I'll have more updates from the past soon.

The Supra W58 shifter location is too far back to fit into the stock MX13 tunnel opening. There is another W58 out there who's shifter further forward, and ought to fit. I have no idea though what car that comes from. Someone in Australia told me about it. I didn't bother with it at all. I just cut a few inches out of the tranny tunnel. Easy. Might have photos of that around here somewhere....

The stock MX12 driveshaft bolted right up to the W58, and fits perfectly in the stock location!

Just for fun, this was my old car. KA-T. Loved the car, but I beat on it at the racetrack and it almost always needed something fixed. Wanted a daily. Japanese nostalgics were just becoming popular then.

The car in my brother's old garage, ready to start work.

The old 2M engine. Odd looking valve cover

Hard work. The radiator support of the Corona is really high. Made a tough task of getting the engine out.

Ug what a mess! Coolant, oil, and gasoline everywhere. Years of grime, crud, and some rust. Time to get cleaning

This is what I drive now

1985 535i, 5spd. Recently repainted. Spax lowering springs with Spax shocks. Factory LSD swapped in.