Thread: Datsun 160j SSS

Datsun 160j SSS

Hey guys, Toyota Garage readers asked me to start a tread at JNC about my Datsun so they don’t have to go to Ratsun to follow the build: Her you are.

So i was looking for some cool j-tin for an long time, i was looking at 240z:s but they felt to mainstream, every carguy knows what a z looks like. I wanted something that screamed "japanes car" but still was pretty and overseamd by the masses... Something with that little extra(turbo ). And then this happened:

I bought my first Datsun, a -74 Datsun 160j sss.

I have always been a Toyota guy, but this time i wanted to try something different (yes i still have a ke35 corolla to ).

The car is running an turboed and supercharged Bmw m42 1.8l engine, equiped with MS.

Rims: Xxr 513:s.

Plans for the cold Finnish winter:
    -I disassembled the engine for an overhaul: I ordered new conrods, bearings, timingchain and an cometic .120 MLS headgasket. Im playing with the thought of adding an methanol injection (somebody please talk me out of this )
    -I really would need to add an LSD for better grip.

Hopefully you will enjoy this tread:

And some pics for the p*cwh*rs

(Sorry for the quality of the pics, the are mostly from the ad i found, I didn’t take the time to take pictures: i drove the shit out of here instead )

Re: Datsun 160j SSS

fantastic!

did you restore/paint it yourself?

if so, what did it look like before?

Thank you Coltspeed, This is the first car that I own that I haven’t touched the bodywork on (yet).

I must say the bmw engine & gearbox swap seems quite easy in these cars, I guess it can’t be much harder on a 510? Anybody want any pictures how it’s done on this car? Just let me know.

Pictures from the engine parts to be installed:

In January it was a bit cold in the garage -22ºC (-7,6 ºF) … I thought it was the perfect temperature to install pistons so… Here we go:

I received the head gasket after waiting for almost 2,5 months…. But then again: the head is still at the machine shop. Last time I checked they had at last got the head assembled… with the wrong parts
    When I bought the car it hadn’t got an working speedometer so I solved this by ordering an GPS speedometer, so at least I got one problem solved.

Your car looks great from any angle.

Thank you 92rednsx for the compliments

The GPS speedo and some other gaugages I ordered arrived.

My luck When I bought the car none of the gauge cluster background lights worked. So I decided that I would change the light bulbs. After fought for I while I managed to get the cluster lose… this is what I was faced with:

The previous owner had hit the meter metal brace and and circuit board with a Dremmel like a cannibal hits a school bus. He deleted every background light connection, high beam indicator and messed up the watertemp circuit. All this to get the tachometer in the center, -“in true racing spirit”.
    So after I many hours of welding, gluing, troubleshooting and reverse engineering I managed to transfer the tachometer to its original location, most of the background lights working and I got the GPS speedo installed instead of the earlier Non-working HAL-driven BMW speedometer.

And because none of you read anything I wrote, Here is a oic instead of the finnished meter: