Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: R32 speeding tickets in my future?

R32 speeding tickets in my future?

Morning all!

In my Honda Life thread I hinted at me trying to get a new project. Well, after a bit of faffing about with negotiations and what not, I finally got an e-mail yesterday letting me know that all was a go!

Now, those that know me know that I never buy a car that's in perfect working order. That would just be silly! This car is no exception. So, without further ado, I present, my inevitable jail time!

Yes, I've gone and bought an R32 Skyline. Not just any R32 though, this is a genuine R32 GTR!

I've always maintained that the safest motorcycle you can own is the one that never runs. I figure that if I'm going to buy something that's obscenely fast, I might as well continue to follow that ethos. Now some of the more eagle eyed readers may have noticed that it's missing something very minor from the front. For those of us that aren't quite as keen, the bumper is indeed missing. It's not missing in the sense that it's no longer on this mortal coil, rather it's just not on the car to keep it from getting destroyed while the car gets towed around.

About 6 months back, I was getting a bento at the local Hokka Hokka Tei. Next to this bentoya san is a BMW tuning shop called ASP performance. At the time, a fellow whitie was working there part time. It just so happened that I decided to swing over and kill some time on the very night they were unloading this car.

Fast forward to a few weekends ago and the car was still sitting in the same place, untouched. Well, that's a waste, I thought. And the negotiations began. Progress was slow and I threw out a crazy low ball number and he threw back a crazy high ball number and ultimately, we decided to meet in the middle right at 160,000 yen (or about 1,500 USD). Yes, a genuine GTR for 1,500 bucks.

Now, before you go saying that I got the steal of the century (I did), let me just say that it doesn't run. The previous owner was in the process of converting it to a track day car, but gave up shortly after starting. As such, it's missing a few rather important things, like the intercooler, intake piping, MAFs, ECU and radiator. Those are things that are all available for pretty affordable prices on Yahoo, so getting this thing back on its feet shouldn't be too costly.

The interior was also all completely removed to weld in plates for a roll cage. Before the cage got put in the project fizzled, so I get the fun of putting the interior all back together. Yay.

The good news is, the majority of the pieces are all there. I know projects never go according to plan, but the plan is to essentially treat this car like a lego kit that's lost the instructions. I have all the pieces, I just gotta put it together.

Now, the good news. It ran before it came apart, so it's not fatally wounded in any way (I hope). Also, it has a full aftermarket exhaust on it that is supposedly pretty high quality (it's not made of rust, so it's instantly better than 90% of cars I buy). It's got some Tein coilovers hiding under those wheel arches as well. So, worst case scenario, I could part it out and make my money back and then some.

The body is straight and accident free with almost no rust. The big white wheels don't come with the car, but I was told by the whitie that he has a line of some good wheels that will fit for free. We'll see if that pans out.

It's a very solid base car that needs some work and love to get back onto its feet. If it goes smoothly and everything works beautifully, I may retire my little Honda Life from daily duties and rock this beast!

We pick it up this Sunday, so more pictures to come!

Cheers,
    David

Re: R32 speeding tickets in my future?

Oh Lord! I think I just shorted out my keyboard drooling over this gem!

Congrats! Would love to get my hands on a lego kit like that.

lots of work ahead of you haha. i enjoyed my 32 gtr while i had it, but honestly its one car i don't miss that much. maybe its just the fact that there's 20 of them i see everyday now lol (literally 20 and every week a new one pops in). great car tho :tu:

Kinda odd it is parked on spot #32!

Welcome back to the Land of Skyline ! That's a bit of a monster to say nothing of a slight horsepower hike on your current fleet.

Nice one David

very nice aquisition!! congrats....now get cracking on that beast!!!!

Nakazato, you are the guy that rescued the little white 360 from that field and rebuild it every nut and bolt right?
    If yes this will be interesting, great buy, i'd love to have one of these.

Nice score

Shew yeah you've got a project ahead of you. Just open the wallet and turn it over haha.

I'm up near Tokyo if you need anything. Good luck with the resto. What year is it?