Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Decision

Tough Decision

Hey guys, I've got a tough decision here...

I've been offered a trade for my 1980 RX-7 (Here's my thread with pictures of it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23571)

It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman. I love the older Corollas, but....it's an AUTOMATIC!!! I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox. My question is, is the trade for this car worth it even though I'm missing out on rowing my own gears??? I feel like I'll miss it at first, but could get over it. On the other hand, I freakin' love a good manual.

What'cha think?

Cheers,
    Nihonnotekko

Re: Tough Decision

The Rolla does indeed look very minty!! :tu:
    You could always swap in a manual box and fit slim chrome bumpers to make it absolutely awesome!! 8)

Keep the rx-7

I Vote: Corolla.

Put some aftermarket rims on it and that would make a great everyday car.

Is anybody familiar with the reliability of the 4th gen. Corollas? Especially with the auto-trans, I would reallllllly hate having to rebuild it frequently.

I also have another contender...

A '91 Civic hatch 4-speed manual. It's an all original car, no mods, AND...it comes with all it's original records.

Keep in mind, this next buy will be my daily driver to school and work.

Quote Originally Posted by nihonnotekko
    It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman.
    Yeah, it is a clean car but, sports car -> four door???? Do you really need to ask (unless you have kids)????

it's an AUTOMATIC!!!
    The only three words worse than saying, "I love you" (cue in theme music from James Bond). Kiss of death for me, ESPECIALLY for a JNC hobby car (unless it was something like an LS400).

I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox.
    Everyone is different but I wouldn't do it...

keep the rx7. there is no other answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevester
    It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman.
    Yeah, it is a clean car but, sports car -> four door???? Do you really need to ask (unless you have kids)????

it's an AUTOMATIC!!!
    The only three words worse than saying, "I love you" (cue in theme music from James Bond). Kiss of death for me, ESPECIALLY for a JNC hobby car (unless it was something like an LS400).

I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox.
    Everyone is different but I wouldn't do it...

I've got love for all body styles. :tu: I was thinking it's be a better friend hauler, and although it's an auto...it's still RWD. I actually got to see the car today, and I think I'll pass. I just wasn't "feeling" the car. It didn't give off the right vibes for me like my RX did when I first went to see it. I'll just have to see what the Honda can do for me. Hopefully it'll tickle my fancy in the right way and I'll have a sweet new ride. :mrgreen:

The reason I'm selling BTW is the gas mileage I get with the RX. 8 MPG!!! Even though I'm a college kid with no obligations other than partying 'til dawn, I'll gladly take the ~30 MPG I'll get out of the Civic. (I'll be keeping it stock too. I can definitely appreciate a bone-stock, well-preserved car.)

I love my corollas, but I wouldn't do this trade.
    The e70's are a nice looking model, but not the 4 door. find a 2 door coupe and you will be 8). The autotragic in this car will make you depressed. It is a 3 speed literal "slush box". It will rob every ounce of power that the tiny 4a makes. you could convert the trans, but then you would want a better engine too. You might as well find what you want, because If you change a trans and or engine, you will take away the only thing it has going for it: its cleanliness and originality. Even if you do that, you would still have a 4 door sedan.

This sounds more like a rant, but I know from experience. Hope it helps.

I like the 4 doors better.