Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazsuzu the very confused Mazda B1500

Mazsuzu the very confused Mazda B1500

I've decided to buy a Mazda B1500. It's a 1967 model, despite the 80's boxy shape.
    Here's a picture of as purchased:

It's got an incorrect front bumper bolted to the original and an ugly canopy to be removed ASAP.
    Interestingly, it has a mod plate and was previously registered in Vic (Aust.) with it's existing donk: a 2.8L Isuzu diesel with 5 speed. It has Mitsubishi disks up front, and an err... Wolseley diff. It's dead straight, and begging for a rat-resto.

It's seems to be a bit of a rare model, in Australia anyway, so any info or contacts for parts would be really welcome.

Re: Mazsuzu the very confused Mazda B1500

A Wolseley diff? That beggars some sort of explanation.

Check out Ford Courier Collector. Lots of info about the B series utes there.

I started work this weekend. It starts and runs fine. The diesel and gearbox seem ok, at least no problems in first or reverse. No oil or smoke is a great start.

The body had no real surprises, and the only rust is in the doors where some carpet had been glued to them trapping moisture... and a little more of the same on the floor.

The brakes were in great shape and got a quick clean and bleed. The front has massive Mitsubishi disks and callipers. Does anyone recognise the model? The disks are only marked 19mm minimum, and the callipers are marked 14G. I only know/suspect they are Mitsubishi as thats what the Engineer's plate specifies.

The worst part is the electrics. There is spaghetti everywhere. I suspect the previous owner overloaded and cooked the loom, and rather than cutting out the damaged wires, just started bypassing everything and introducing a new colour scheme of whatever was in the top shelf of the workbench. It's a mess.

I forgot; does anyone recognise the seats? Cool old buckets, but I doubt they came standard.

Looks a lot like the brakes on my starion there, Ill take a look at the markings on mine next time I have the wheel off and let you know. I tried snooping around my cars forums with no luck.

Thanks tankbob, let me know how you go.

With the brakes two ideas.

- sometimes the brake pads have a number that you might be able to make out written on the back. ie "DBA......". Check out what that pad number fits caliper wise and go from there. Or just use that number to re-order pads.

- Get one of the rotors and measure everything. Then check out the DBA website or email them the specs and they/you can work out what the discs came off.

Quote Originally Posted by coupe72001

I forgot; does anyone recognise the seats? Cool old buckets, but I doubt they came standard.
    Thats a GTO seat.

I tried Googling some Mitsubishi interiors, and it didn't go well.
    So, 1975 Mitsubishi GTO at a guess?

Have spent the last three weeks attempting to bleed the clutch. Have replaced the master cylinder with a B1600 unit, had the slave (Isuzu) rebuilt and still have to pump the pedal to get a good clutch. Checked the adjustment was correct. Finally pulled off the flexible hose and found a hairline crack, that I hope was sucking air into the system. Im having the hose rebuilt, the washers and banjo bolts replaced and will try again.

Other than the frustration of the clutch, I have stripped out the interior. It was fully carpeted, but under the carpet was a layer of sound deadening (water absorbing) sponge, that had been glued to the body. Finally I got it all off with a wire brush attached to a grinder. The B-pillars were full of pink insulation batt that would normally be found in the roof of a house. That all came out as well. Note the pile of rubbish by the ute.

On a positive note, Jason from Junked in Kyneton Vic welded up the holes in my doors really nicely. No filler at this point, just metal.