Thread: TE31 Corolla in San Antonio Texas

TE31 Corolla in San Antonio Texas

I've been poking around for a while, but just got the time to sign up. My name's Diane and I've owned many American and Japanese classics. I've been working on cars since I was about 7 with my pops and am now a professional car detailer and IT technician (diagnostics skills carry over to just about anything).

I just for my TE31 SR5 Corolla a couple of months ago. Her name is Kimiko and she's had some work done to her so far, but I'm going to finish what her owner started. Big stuff: she's got a 3TC, swapped fb GSL-SE RX-7 rear end, & stripped interior.

She's the latest in my line of old Japanese vehicles, the former being a 74 Rotary pickup and 84 RX-7. I've already had some fun with her... racin' the deathtrap. lol

Pix:

Re: TE31 Corolla in Texas

Ohai. Welcome.

OHAI Darren! Is there ANY part of the interwebz that you are not all over??

lol @ NAZDA!!

Re: TE31 Corolla in San Antonio Texas

welcome, car looks nice. there's a gslse in a local yard and I was debating swapping that rear end myself (I have a 79 Corolla). how is it?

-Nick

Re: TE31 Corolla in San Antonio Texas

Quote Originally Posted by nfelge
    welcome, car looks nice. there's a gslse in a local yard and I was debating swapping that rear end myself (I have a 79 Corolla). how is it?

-Nick
    Thank Nick!

The swap worked out great. It needs rotors and pads, but stops very well. One major thing to note is the width that the rear end is: I have some hellapoke (lol) on the rear only with the Celica Supra Wheels. I need flares! ops:

Quote Originally Posted by b00std

lol @ NAZDA!!
    ....maybeh *deletes browser history*

One thing I never thought about but since it was brought up by nfelge, when ya'll do the swap do you use the GSL-SE brakes as well? Factory -SE rear calipers have a particular e-brake setup so I was wondering how much if any modification is necessary which also makes rebuilding the calipers an...adventure to say the least. I've had the pleasure of rebuilding mine and it made me second guess just buying a set of re-man'd.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdatsun

lol @ NAZDA!!

One thing I never thought about but since it was brought up by nfelge, when ya'll do the swap do you use the GSL-SE brakes as well? Factory -SE rear calipers have a particular e-brake setup so I was wondering how much if any modification is necessary which also makes rebuilding the calipers an...adventure to say the least. I've had the pleasure of rebuilding mine and it made me second guess just buying a set of re-man'd.
    Yes the rear disc are one of the benefits of the swap. Actually, I was going to ask you to come take a peek with me and my Toyota buddy when we tackle the rear brakes. One of the rear calipers is dragging and I need to see if the ebrake is adjusted correctly while we're in there. I'm going to be proactive and replace the pads/rotors when we check the calipers.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdatsun

lol @ NAZDA!!

Yes the rear disc are one of the benefits of the swap. Actually, I was going to ask you to come take a peek with me and my Toyota buddy when we tackle the rear brakes. One of the rear calipers is dragging and I need to see if the ebrake is adjusted correctly while we're in there. I'm going to be proactive and replace the pads/rotors when we check the calipers.
    Sure, let me know. I've actually got to rebuild my rears again because I don't think I cleaned up the pistons enough last time, one is leaking so I'm replacing it and I'll be more than happy to lend it to you so you can practice on it, this way you have an idea of how to man-handle it if you rebuild yours.

Just as well, if you decide to rebuild, drop the cash for the MazdaTrix kit. It comes with all the same stuff you get from Rock Auto but it's OEM ANNNNDDDDD it comes with that big boot that covers the e-brake mechanism that you can't get...and I tore on one of mine.
    $36.72 + Shipping (Mazdatrix is hefty shipping so like $10).
    http://mazdatrix.com/j-2brake.htm