Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Empire Gold license plates return to NY

Administrator

Empire Gold license plates return to NY

For anyone who spent a lot of time in NYC as a kid, those blue-on-yellow license plates bring back a rush of nostalgia, like Checker Marathon cabs.

NY is bringing back "Empire Gold". For Californians, this is akin to the CA blue plates.

Unfortunately, the fact that that this is just a ploy to squeeze $25 bucks out of every car in the state ruins all the nostalgia.

http://www.1010wins.com/SOUND-OFF--NY-U ... es/5644201

The old plates didn't have the blue bars across the top and bottom or the state outline, but the color really brings back memories. Cruising around in my cousin's Dodge Aspen, you couldn't have asked for a shittier car, but I can smell the vinyl now. NYC was in not much better condition than the car back then too. Those were the days...

Administrator
    Old NY plates:

I wish we could go back to the green on white plates I grew up with:

Administrator
    Those are awesome. I heard WA was going to fully flat plates. Has that happened yet?

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    Those are awesome. I heard WA was going to fully flat plates. Has that happened yet?
    I honestly don't know, and my google-fu is failing me right now. I do know that Washington is switching to 7 character license plates. The original plan was A1AA111 arrangement of characters, but too many people, including the State Patrol said that would be too difficult to remember, so we're going to AAA1111 arrangement.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Stax
    Quote Originally Posted by ben
    I do know that Washington is switching to 7 character license plates.
    At last. Now I can get a "PRELUDE" vanity plate. Just gotta move up to WA =D

I always thought I should get a personalized license plate with POETIC on it. That way, when someone questions my writing, I can prove I have poetic license.

I thought Washington already went 7 letters and printed flat plates, there are a few plates here in Oregon that way already, but I do sure wish they would go 7 letters for at least vanity plates

...I halfway want to get a Golden State/Rising Sun fake type plate made up for my car with the actual number, start sticking registration stickers on it and be secure that no law enforcement would notice or care :lol:

not that it would be original for my car at all, but blue plates are nasty, and all other CA plates, including the current, are just boring... But at least clean and unobtrusive.

Michigan had different color combo plates every year for ages, unlike a lot of you folks that kept the same plate style for a decade or so. However, around 1983, we switched to blue with white lettering. Which I always liked. They stopped giving them out around 2003ish, but you could still continue to get tags for existing ones up until very recently, when they nixed the whole thing. The replacement is white, blue lettering, with a big blue rectangle at the top. And it sucks. There's a handful of custom plate designs, mostly school symbols and lame things like "I love children", but in 1996 there was a 100th anniversary of the automobile plate that was kind of cool, and if someone had gotten one you can still get tags for it and transfer it from car to car (we can do that in MI, I get the impression you can't in Cali. In Michigan you can't transfer a plate between owners even).

^The beloved blue/white plate

^What the current replacement is... eh.

These two are optional at extra cost plates- the orange/blue one of the bridge isn't made anymore, but you can still register them (my 300 has one still)

This is the one-year 100th anniversary of the automobile in the US one (that was a pretty big event when it happened)

And a few of my favorite older plates-

The '76 plates lasted until 1979, and the 1979s lasted until 1983. Amazingly, up until VERY recently (last 2 years or so), government vehicles were still running around with the '76 style plate. And not vehicles that old, they were putting them on new cop cars, school busses, work vans, etc. Kinda weird, never understood how that worked. Gov't plates don't expire, I guess, so they just kept moving them from vehicle to vehicle.

We also used these tabs for a few years in the late '50s/early '60s-

A lot of them seem to have serial #s of some sort stamped in them as well, probably an attempt to keep people from stealing them off cars and using them.