Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '72 Skyline 2000GT (4-door)

'72 Skyline 2000GT (4-door)

A few people know I bought this four-door Skyline, but figured I would start a thread about it. It is currently still in Utah with JDM Legends getting some work done. Winter weather here so no big rush to get and just store it, so getting the stuff I would have trouble doing myself taken care of.

I previously owned a '69 Toyota Corona that needed new suspension that would have cost more than the car was worth, and then a VW fastback that I could never get past emissions in Phoenix.

So I contacted JDML last January or February about locating a four-door Skyline in Japan. I like the two-door, but the four door just appeals to me for some reason...always makes me think of some old Japanese gangster. They scanned some auctions and the first car we tried for was this white, I think '69 Skyline...

IMG_7471 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7469 by moomincameras, on Flickr

But the reserve ended up being a lot higher than I wanted to pay, something like $30-$35K, and there was some odd note about the owner keeping the original hubcaps. A week or two later, this silver '72 showed up for auction...I think it had a B grade. When you bid on these auctions, all you really have to go on is the crappy keitai photos and an inspection report. There is a good episode of Wheeler Dealers Trading Up that shows how the auctions work. And this one had Watanabes, so I wouldn't have to buy them later.

IMG_7503 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7504 by moomincameras, on Flickr

Ryan from JDML was up at midnight bidding for me. It was a win, for something like $19K. The dollar was crappier last winter than it is now, as well).

Eric from JDML was in Japan for car show soon after and stopped to check it out and took a few shots. They fixed a leaky radiator hose there before shipping to the US.

IMG_7649 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7650 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7656 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7654 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7655 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7653 by moomincameras, on Flickr

Overall in good shape. Inside needs some work. Has a kind of ugly (though expensive) Nardi-Personal steering wheel with no horn button, a '90s stereo that doesn't fit, and some '90s speakers in the back window.

Arrived at JDML in early April. If I still lived in Phoenix I would have made a road trip to check it out, but now I live too far away for a quick trip. Some shots they took at the shop...

skyline by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7158 by moomincameras, on Flickr

skyline01 by moomincameras, on Flickr

IMG_7159 by moomincameras, on Flickr

You can browse through some of the other shots on flickr through the links. Has the Watanabe sticker, as well as the "roadworthy" sticker, so it hasn't been off the road for too long, I suppose. A few small spots of surface rust and it looks like the gas tank leaked at some point.

Main issue for me was the ride height. It was riding on the bump stops so not very smooth and I didn't want to worry about scraping everything...I wanted a driver more than a "show" car. So more on that later in my next post.

Re: '72 Skyline 2000GT (4-door)

Awesome some more four door love and with a surf line. Do you plan to keep it or flare the rears?

Keeping the body stock! No flares for me...

Can't wait until this gets here!

Very nice. IL is catching up to California in Hakosuka owners. What part of Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by escargot_man
    Very nice. IL is catching up to California in Hakosuka owners. What part of Chicago?
    Hardly. We are 3 strong. haha

Congrats on the purchase!
    Welcome to the family!

-e

Quote Originally Posted by escargot_man
    I live near Lincoln Square, but the Hako will be in Indiana where I have a garage I can store it in.

Gorgeous!

Slowly wrapping up the work being done on the Hako. This is how it sits now with new suspension...

IMG_7932 by moomincameras, on Flickr

So new suspension and brakes

IMG_7893 by moomincameras, on Flickr

And now they are working on the transmission. Had to get a "new" tranny from Datsun Parts, as the one in the Hako was a mystery, not original, with no markings, couldn't find parts for a rebuild. New Kameari flywheel, weighs 9 pounds vs the 22 pound original...

Flywheel-3 by moomincameras, on Flickr

Flywheel-2 by moomincameras, on Flickr

That should be it for mechanical repairs, will do interior and body when it is in my hands, by May with luck.