Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: '80 Colt winter driver/project

'80 Colt winter driver/project

Was looking for a decent car to drive this winter while the Sapporo and Cressida hibernate and the Starion is still under the knife and came across this Colt on craigslist unbelievably less than a mile from my house. It was bought off of its original old lady owner two years ago and the previous owner drove it sparingly while going over all the little things that needed attending to.

So here she is in all her 100% original metallic rootbeer brown 55k mile beauty.....

Plans are to clean up the rusty areas, fit a couple of rally style fogs and I have a set of OEM 13 inch first gen RX7 wheels with chunky snow tires and bolt pattern adapters to give a slightly meaner look.

Anyone here have any experience with these cars? I would love to swap the dual range OEM four speed in place of the auto.

Re: '80 Colt winter driver/project

Just curious, why would you fit FB RX7 wheels with adapters when you could just fit proper wheels?

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoKP
    Just curious, why would you fit FB RX7 wheels with adapters when you could just fit proper wheels?
    Sure... its simple. I had the wheels already, I am in the middle of doing an addition on my house, so money is tight. So since I had these......I may as well use them.

I wanna rock a twin stick bad.... you decide which trans you are gonna go with?

Quote Originally Posted by city hunter
    I wanna rock a twin stick bad.... you decide which trans you are gonna go with?
    Its going to come down to cost. I really REALLY want a twin stick. But..around here there just are no good donor cars left on this side of the country and shipping one would cost as much as I paid for the car.

I was talking with Charlie over at Classic Colt and we were discussing later model trans and engines that should prettty much bolt right in. I think I will probably just drive it with the autobox and 1.6 at least until the spring. But then I already have a '95 Mirage with a 1.8 16v and a 5 speed. I think the 120 horse motor in this car would make it a pretty lively little driver.

Took it out for its first real drive since the fix and since it has real plates, did a quick clean and photoshoot. Was about 10 degrees out so it was quick! Will do a full detail once the weather breaks a bit!

I have an 83 colt. Light blue. 1.4L. 72HP haha
    What is a some what common (if any) engine swap for this?! if its raining hard it wont even go past 40 m/h lol

help!

Always did like this particular design. Kind of like a smaller and vastly better executed version of the rather weird Pacer.
    Great colour too - especially with that gold stripe to set it off.
    Very cool ride and super rare nowadays.
    Hope you keep her fairly standard... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by redred0901
    I have an 83 colt. Light blue. 1.4L. 72HP haha
    What is a some what common (if any) engine swap for this?! if its raining hard it wont even go past 40 m/h lol

help!
    There where factory turbo cars, that would be the easiest, most straight forward swap. Some changes would need to be made, but the motors up through the '95 Mirage are an almost drop in swap, the Mirage was available in '95 with a single cam 16v 120hp 1.8. That would liven the Colt right up!

Quote Originally Posted by 02Anders
    Always did like this particular design. Kind of like a smaller and vastly better executed version of the rather weird Pacer.
    Great colour too - especially with that gold stripe to set it off.
    Very cool ride and super rare nowadays.
    Hope you keep her fairly standard... ;-)
    Thanks! I plan on keeping her fairly standard for sure. Only plans are to clean up the rust, maybe a 4 speed twin stick swap if I can find all the OEM components to do so and slight lowering w/wheels.

You know...its funny just HOW many people think it is a Pacer.