Thread: mx73 intermittent blower motor problem.

mx73 intermittent blower motor problem.

Figures that as soon as it starts getting cold and wet my blower motor would start acting up. Its been doing it for a few weeks, the first time it cut out, I ignored it for a few days, and then on my way to work one day, I hit a big bump, and it turned back on. Worked fine for a few days, then gut out again. So I reached down and thumped the side of the blower motor, and it turned back on. Well, it's cut out again, and I can't get it to start working again. I was thinking maybe a resistor, but it seems that most of the time when a resistor is bad, it will work on certain settings and not others. Any input? I suppose it could just be the motor itself, but neither part is very cheap, so input would be greatly appreciated!

Re: mx73 intermittent blower motor problem.

I'm going to bet it's the motor. I've had several blower motors go bad, but never a resistor. Since hitting the motor itself made it work, that's probably the culprit.

The definitive way to tell is to check for voltage at the motor with a multimeter. If there is voltage but no spinning, it's the motor. If the switch is on, but no voltage, it's something in the circuit.

Sounds more specifically like your brushes are bad. They are a wear part and once they get short enough, they just don't make contact. Either that or a loose wire. My heater switch would act up without pattern until it finally quit and I had no defrost when the weather turned. On the back of the switch I felt a loose wire which turned out was moving in and out of contact depending on switch position and bumps in the road.

It was the motor . Thanks guys!

Could the blower only coming on when you hit "Auto" but not when you hit "high" or "low" be the motor itself?

Quote Originally Posted by MR2_FTW
    Could the blower only coming on when you hit "Auto" but not when you hit "high" or "low" be the motor itself?
    I have a similar problem except it is just low that doesn't work.
    There is only one blower doing all the work right?

That's a different thing that causes that. I forget what it's called, but there's a large sensor that has 2 or 3 coil element that mounts right next to the fan near the heater core. It's a common problem because crap get's in there and damages the elements. Mine is bad too, but it's was unrelated to the fan not working entirely.