Poll: Which alloy suits my TE61?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me choose my new alloys....

Help me choose my new alloys....

I'm keen to swap the 15" Compomotive alloys currently on my TE61 Trueno to something 13" to make it more period-correct. But there are soooo many options out there - which to choose...??

So this is the car I need new and smaller alloys for. I'll be keeping the arches stock, so width is limited to somewhere around 7" depending on ET.

Now seeing as my Trueno is pretty rare, I couldn't find examples of various alloys on the same body style as mine, but I'm sure you'll get the picture anyway...

I must confess that I'm leaning heavily towards a set of Watanabe RS in 6.5 x 13" either in Bronze Brown or maybe Gold Metallic.

But a set of Hayashi Street in the same 6.5 x 13" are also really tempting me...

Problem is of course, there are just sooooo many cool Japanese nostalgic alloys out there!!

Does anyone know if TRD Tosco alloys exist any narrower than the usual 8J?? A 7J would beyond doubt look awesome under the Trueno arches...

How about perhaps a set of Techno Phantom - also a real classic!

Or should I even - considering just how original and unmolested my Trueno is - opt for a set of original 4-spoke 5.5 x 13" sports steel wheels? This is what my Trueno would have had from factory and that's what the spare wheel in the boot is. I actually really like the look - very retro... :tu:

What say you??
    Besides voting, I'd also really appreciate your reasoning behind your opinion.
    And if you know of some rare and cool Jap wheel that you feel would be perfect for my Trueno, then please speak up if I haven't included it in the poll already...
    Thx for your help!! :tu:

*EDIT*
    Thx for those first two votes! I'm really excited to see where this goes...
    I've just added the option of voting "Other" too, but obviously if you do so, please leave a comment specifying which wheel you think I should go for....

Re: Help me choose my new alloys....

http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/SIG=14 ... &istatus=2

Wheels are intensely personal... and sometimes simple availability is a significant determining factor...

Yahoo Japan is your friend... aboves link should get you to all the 13" - 114.3 x 4 used wheels for sale on Yahoo Japan

I voted for Hayashi Streets, only because they are my favourite old school wheel, however I do think they would look better in a 14" rather than a 13"

Cheers
    Benny

Hey Anders!

That's my TA22 with the black Watanabes! Haha...
    I've only seen one TE61 here in Singapore many years ago.
    It's been scrapped because the owner couldn't afford to keep it on the road.
    Anyway, here are some other TE61 pics I managed to find...

I vote for RS Watanabes because they seem like a timeless classic that's hard to go wrong with.
    Are the wheel choices you listed available in Hong Kong? Just wondering...

i just voted for hayashi street

my god your car is beautiful

Hard to go wrong with Wats, but in this case since what you have are so similar, I'd say branch out a bit for a new purchase. You have a classic line-up to choose from, but it wouldn't hurt to peruse Yahoo Japan/here/elsewhere for a while to see if something else grabs you.

Thx for your votes so far!!

Well the more I look at the TRD Tosco, the more I fall in love. But there's no way I'll ever get 8J under my standard arches. So does anyone know if they exist in 7J? And if so, what ET would they have? And more importantly, would they slot under standard Trueno arches?

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy
    http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/auction/SIG=14361lf7k/EXP=1383162075;_ylt=A7dPeCZbD3BSIykAp09APDh8;_ylu= X3oDMTBhcWFrZDNwBHZ0aWQDQVMwMTA-/*-http%3A//auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?ei=UTF-8&p=114.3&auccat=2084199053&slider=0&tab_ex=commer ce&istatus=2

Wheels are intensely personal... and sometimes simple availability is a significant determining factor...

Yahoo Japan is your friend... aboves link should get you to all the 13" - 114.3 x 4 used wheels for sale on Yahoo Japan
    Thanks for the jap yahoo link Oldeskewltoy. Much appreciated!! I don't speak a word of Japanese, so I would have never gotten that far on my own. There are certainly lots of goodies on there, but sadly many of the really cool items are single wheels or only a set of two. But I did come across a stunning set of Enkei Apache IV in 6.5x13" with gold centers. Odd, cause with the exception mid-80's BMW's on BBS RS's I'm not normally a big fan of the crosspoke design, but my god they're awesome!! 8) Think they might very well suit the Trueno just fine... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by bennyd
    I voted for Hayashi Streets, only because they are my favourite old school wheel, however I do think they would look better in a 14" rather than a 13"
    Hmm... I did consider a 14" for quite some time Benny, but no, I've decided that I want the retro small-fat-alloy-with-big-ballon-tyre look...

Quote Originally Posted by christse
    That's my TA22 with the black Watanabes! Haha...
    I've only seen one TE61 here in Singapore many years ago.
    It's been scrapped because the owner couldn't afford to keep it on the road.
    Anyway, here are some other TE61 pics I managed to find...

I vote for RS Watanabes because they seem like a timeless classic that's hard to go wrong with.
    Are the wheel choices you listed available in Hong Kong? Just wondering...
    Well I sincerely hope you don't mind me using your pic Christse!! I only did so because it's one of the most fab TA22's I've ever seen... :wink: Absolutely gorgeous!
    And thx for the pic of that white TE47 Trueno on Wats. It certainly does look good. :tu: I already had the pic of the red Trueno, but didn't use it here as the arch extensions and super wide Wats aren't at all the look I'm going for anyway.
    As for availability I recon that regardless what I decide to go for, I'll have to source them from overseas. Probably Japan, but of course Aus or US are also options...

Quote Originally Posted by stingray
    i just voted for hayashi street

my god your car is beautiful
    Thx Stingray!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghstofrkkopra73
    Hard to go wrong with Wats, but in this case since what you have are so similar, I'd say branch out a bit for a new purchase. You have a classic line-up to choose from, but it wouldn't hurt to peruse Yahoo Japan/here/elsewhere for a while to see if something else grabs you.
    I know what you're saying. And as mentioned just above, I did actually really like the set of Enkei Apache IV that came up on Jap Yahoo. Or maybe a set of SSR mk.3...?? I dunno...??

[img]http://ord.yahoo.co.jp/o/image/SIG=12l6bb3t4/EXP=1383182036;_ylt=A7dPdCdUXXBS7QsAE8eU3uV7;_ylu= X3oDMTAyN3Vldmc1BDAD;_ylc=X3IDMgRmc3QDMARpZHgDMARv aWQDQU5kOUdjU1E3ZXhnRnhyMFNvNTBzNkpoTkFXRlYtbHh5VU p3eXdEbTRBbkI5UXJhel9oQWZ2RFVmbEd2cEhzBHADVkVVMk1R LS0EcG9zAzUEc2VjA3NodwRzbGsDc2ZzdA--/*-http%3A//www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/images/users_photo/kotoku-te61-1.jpg[/img]

I really like this no headlite cover, flared look! That front end is very attractive raw. RS Watanabe I like on anything. Neko.

Hey Anders,

No worries about the picture and thanks for your kind words.
    For that, here's a pair of 13x7J Toscos on Yahoo Auctions Japan...
    http://page16.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/u59180314

Auction ends in 8 hours! Good luck...

Advan a3a