Thread: '77 280z battery draining issue

'77 280z battery draining issue

I have a 1977 280z that I'm working on and the biggest issue I have at the moment is that the battery drains, even when the car is off and the keys are out of the ignition. Specifically, at least based off of the stock volt. meter, the battery drains in pulsing manner (see linked video).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX17VoZ2 ... e=youtu.be

I haven't the slightest clue as to where I should start checking for a cause, other than just picking a point to start and checking out every circuit in the car, which is why I came here. Are there any common causes for the battery to drain or possibilities based off of how the power is being drained? The stock fuel injection has been replaced with carbs, so that can't be a cause.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: '77 280z battery draining issue

I had a similar issue with my 86 944 Porsche. Come to find out it was the after market alarm system that was installed by the previous owner. Do you have a alarm system? Was there any upgrades electrically that you made recently?

I had the same issue on my G35. I installed an after market horn on the car and it was not grounded correctly or something was shorting out. Well my battery would drain after not starting it for a couple days. I dealt with this for a couple years by just driving the car every other day to charge it, and then finally got tired of it and unplugged one of the wires going back straight to the battery. Problem solved. So something is touching bare metal and creating a closed loop which is pulling current from the battery. It might not be enough to shock you, but enough to trickle the battery down. start disconnecting anything after market then work your way thru the car.

Alright then it must be the radio. Last the car was sent to the shop, it came back with the draining issue and the radio would make any sound.

Thanks for the tips! I'll get back on if the radio is the issue, which I hope it is. I could never hear music over the sound of the car anyway.