Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought the #88 team mitsubishi scca coors race truck

Bought the #88 team mitsubishi scca coors race truck

Score of a century for me. Found a piece of mitsubishi racing history.

Can't believe thi thing popped up on craigslist 12 miles from my house.

It's what I believe to be number 88 from the scca coors race truck series. Loking at the scca logbook, dave wolin signed every entry, which I believe has to do with being the team owner. But there is one log in the 1988 race at mid ohio that mentions Peter Schwartzott needing to have a new sticker placed on his helmet before he races. I assume this was the driver of the truck on that race, and according to the results I found. He was driving number 88. That is also the truck dave wolin and a few other people like charley hexom would drive during the series.

The truck has had all the vinyle removed, and had been converted to badging. It's actually titled as a mighty max, and the cage has matching scca stamps for the log book. I think the previous owner wanted to make it a d50. He removed most of the stickers and penalty weight that was in the back,

He bought it from charley hexom who raced for mitsubishi quite a bit back in the day. exom and fred lux who actually prepped the mitsubishi team cars back in the 80s were working on converting it into a starion powered car. The end result was a old tep modified 4 injector intake, tec 2, spearco air water intercooled with a vw rabbit radiator behind the rear axle with fans for cooling. and 2.5 exhaust. It dynoed 245hp and 285ftlbs on a stock turbo. I guess the first time the keith who I bought it from took it out he developed rod knock. He also mentioned the trans oil temp was getting high, and thinks it needs a cooler. It sat ever since then. THe picture of the truck just red is I believe keith.

Tomorrow I will be going to pick up the original stock 109hp factor engine, along with the starion engine from fred lux shop. It will be awesome to pick his brain on the old mitsubishi cars he did. I will try and get as much info as possible.

I'll get some better pictures tomorrow, it was dark and raining when I got home. It is cool to see the fire supressionr system is still intact and full

Great video of a coors truck race. and a close up of the 87 mitsubishi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnSYj1hAPs0

Pikes peak, mitsubishi finished 1, 2 and 3 in their class

Re: Bought the #88 team mitsubishi scca coors race truck

Reading the logbook some more, apparently charley hexom bought the truck in 89 and had it rebadged as a d50 then as it lists him running it as a dodge on one of the pir events.

WHy I believe it is the 88 truck.

Niagrafals log entry 167, under inspectin notes, it lists a note saying peter needs to put a new sticker on his hemet. Lookingattheresults for that race, peter was driving the 88 truck.

Dave wolin signed every entryas driver/entrant. I assume because he was the main team guy.

log book entry and results

Mid Ohio Sports Car Course, September 25 Septembre 1988

SCCA Coors RaceTruck Challenge
    Round 8/Epreuve 8

Qual # Pilote/Driver Voiture/Car
    1 3_4 19 Steve Saleen, Anahein Ca Ford Ranger/Saleen/General Tire 21 41m10.825s
    2 2_5 20 George Follmer, USA Ford Ranger/Saleen/General Tire 21 41m12.362s
    3 4_3 1 Jeff Krosnoff, USA Nissan/Genuine Nissan Parts/General Tire 21
    4 7 6 Don Marcum, USA Nissan/Superior RacingGoodyear 21
    5 1_6 2 Ray Kong, San Jose Ca Nissan/Genuine Nissan Parts/General Tire 21
    6 9 88 Peter Schwartzott, Niagara Falls N.Y. Mitsubishi/Mitsubishi/Toyo Tire 21
    7 8 Scott Sharp, Danville Ca Dodge/Mopar/Yokohama 21
    8 5_2 33 Tommy Archer, Duluth Mn Jeep Commanche/Jeep/Stroh/Goodyear 21
    9 12 34 Al Unser, Alberqueque N.M. Jeep Commanche/Jeep/Stroh/Goodyear 21
    10 17 86 Mike Rutherford, Fort Worth Tx Mitsubishi/Mitsubishi/Toyo Tire 21
    11 10 3 Spencer Low, USA Nissan/Genuine Nissan Parts/General Tire 21
    12 11 Peter Farrell, USA Dodge/Toyo Tire 21
    13 14 Dave Diedrick, Markham Ont Jeep Commanche/Easton/Goodyear 21
    14 18 Robert Allison, USA Jeep Commanche/Toyo Tire 21
    15 16 Chuck Hemmingson, W. Des Moines Ia Jeep Commanche/Goodyear 21
    16 13 Robert J. Stewart, Scarborough Ont Jeep Commanche/Easton/Goodyear 21
    17 15 Tim Evans, USA Dodge/Mopar/Yokohama 21
    18 22 26 Don Kostar, USA Toyota/Akron Classic Auto Body/Toyo Tire 21
    19 20 Robert C. Stewart, USA Nissan/Goodyear 20
    20 19 Mark Germain, USA Dodge/Toyo Tire 20
    21 21 Myron Croel, USA Nissan/Goodyear 4 Engine
    22 6_1 32 Bobby Archer, Duluth Mn Jeep Commanche/Jeep/Stroh/Goodyear 2 Mechanical
    Dns Dnq Pete Blamey, USA Nissan/Goodyear

plans for the truck are to restore the badging and body to the 1987 race colors and sponsors.

I think will leave the turbo setup in it for now, although down the road I may go back to a bone stock 2.6 for originality sakes.

CHarley hexom was quite a guy. He passed away awhile back, he was a very successful disabled race car driver. He actually drove for team mitsubishi for quite a few years. There is a great article in this scca publication remembering charlie hexom. it;s part way down in the publication

http://www.oregonscca.com/media-library ... rch-04.pdf

This has to be the coolest thing I've EVER seen found on JNC EVER!

I loved both my L200's and they are great pick ups but OMFG this is amazing !!
    Absolutely love that you are restoring it colours and all!!

Yeah im pretgy excited. The original fash has 12,000 miles. all from racing lol. The scca logbook has about 32 entrees. This thing ran the coors series for 2 years.

That's a good find congratulations.
    Can you post some pics specially the engine and suspensions.

Can't wait til you sell one of your EX's to fund this resto. :wink:

Kane

the trucks in amazing condition. not much restore. I dont think I will install a stock g54b which is what it was raced with. I will probably leave the firehawk starion prepped engine in it for now and run the standalone turbo setup the previous owners installed. Right now it is 245hp and 285ftlbs of torque at 14lbs on a 12a. Not too shabby. I think I will actually paint the stripes on.

The suspension is pretty basic. Custom camber plates on the upper arms, and custom bushings., I am unsure of the spring rate.

I guess in 93 it did 1g on the skid test on the road and track. I talked with the crew cheif fred lux who did most of mitsubishis americas cars and he said they experimented with a panhard, but found the truck handled better without it. Overall it was a very stock truck,

What is cool is the guy who did most of mitsubishi's race cars in the 80s starting from the 83 starion and cordia, lives 22 miles from me He currently does a lot of viper stuff. I guess his wife has been racing vipers for some time and has a racing school in utah. His company is lux motorsports.

He also mentioned the dohc engine from hks were only used in the stadium trucks and nothing else.

He told me they lost one of the trucks at pocono. I believe it was probably in 88. flipped up on the fence and tore the engine in half, and after that was a lot of flames. I need to look at the results for the races after pocono to confirm though..

He was saying they got boned in the truck series. saleen had carillo rods, cams, and custom pistons on their trucks, but they couldnt do shit to their engines. The fords and the jeeps basically dominated the series, but mitsu pulled in a few wins.

Here are a few pics of the engine bay

Wow!! Great find, I loved the part about Mitsu taking 1,2 and 3 at Pikes Peak

Yeah, I dont have much info on the pikes peak other than I know they won their class.

THe truck series was interesting, and they seemed to come down hard on the japanbese companies while the ford and jeep teams were getting away with custom rods cams etc..

THere was nothing special in the mitsubishi truck other than it was blue printed. Still had the balance shafts as well. They got nailed one race for running too much timing...