Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 Galant SigMR GE

Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 Galant SigMR GE

I didn't really intend to start whoring my build on multiple forums but I decided to clone my thread here on JNC as I was horrified to see new content getting slow and I love JNC so I'm adding more

Apologies if it reads a little out of sink.

Sun Nov 11, 2012
    Call it fate, karma or just a simple plan. For some reason when cruising the net for a fix of J-Tin I came across this ....

http://sucksqueezebangblow-juice.blo...olt-sigma.html

WoW :P so sick and the fact it was a 4 door sedan just made me like it even more. Problem was I hadn't seen a Sigma or any old Colts coming up for sale in a long while. With the boom in retro scene cars it was becoming harder to find or even buy any 70's or 80's japanese cars here in the UK. I searched for more on this car and found several posts by the current owner on RetroRides forum's in the UK and was shocked to see it was for sale or at least had been. At first for over 4000 and later for a little less.
    BOOM! A week later i'm checking ebay for cars, parts etc. filling the time while my Fiancee was at work. :| and there it is for sale on ebay 600 ono, the engine and gearbox had now been sold and the wheels(SSR Mesh) were for sale seperately. Within an hour I'd cut a deal with the owner and a deposit was sent!

I arranged to collect the car in a week or two and despite being thwarted by work commitments I finally made the trip, swung by and picked her up on route to Japanese Auto Extraveganza car show...

I wasted no time in the early hours of the morning fitting my SSR MKIII's which I already had for my Laurel. a wash and a clean and all I was missing was a box of tissues.

Oh and yeah I might have still been missing an engine but we improvised for the weekend.....

Sapporo beer what else

Amazing weekend and feel very lucky to have a GE in my fleet. keeping the momentum up and getting ready for a busy winter before next season. I kept my eyes and ears opend and have bagged a Sapporo turbo engine and box....

...and an Eclipse engine which I've bought just for the head.

Now I just need too get rid of the other jobs in my way and I'll get busy banishing the remaining rust and getting some real fire in her belly. More soon I hope.

Re: Mitsu-Mech's UK '78 Galant SigMR GE

Mon Nov 19, 2012
    Not even 24 hours after I picked her up and put on my SSR boots. It seems she's grabbed the attention of UK japanese tuning magazine BANZAI :$

Guess I've got alot to live up to come next season

Thu Dec 06, 2012
    Another piece of the puzzle arrived yesterday, lancer EX Turbo rear end (H) This and a few other little odds n sods mean hopefully come January I'll be able to really crack on with the restoration and fabrication work.

Getting excited now

Fri Feb 15, 2013
    Alot of haters for Valentines day but when your Fiancee buys you engine parts you know she's a keeper :thumpsup:

Easily worth cooking a meal and a few pressies for her when I get an Evo 8 inlet manifold in return

Pretty sure late head is the way I'm gonna try first as I've got a spare Evo 4 head here I can port out and weld up the water ways just sat on the shelf ...

....that and a box full of turbos, throttle bodies and bits of this n that Evo. Even a rocker cover. Just on sourcing a loom this week and still need a right hand engine mount as the seller I was supposed to get a pair from just sent me the rubber mounting bushes and not the bracket I needed.

Got 3 customer resto jobs to get out of the way then I should be able to to dive into the Sigma propperly. In the meantime I'll just keep amassing the rest of the parts on my list.

Has it really been 6 months! A whole show season with very little time for my own cars but finally last night I got to make a good start on the mocking up on the SigMR

A trunk funk of parts that keeps growing is only fuelling my need for some workshop self love :lol:

Poor girl has been waiting in the queue

The Sapporo turbo donor I found is the base for my first incarnation as I intend to use a Evo 8 block and one of Bill's fine bell housings eventually.

A quick teardown

....and in she goes.

Sitting the late model Evo 6 head on the block is easy as when the blocks changed they just faced 180 degrees and they line up perfectly the only problems are with water gallery locations which can be welded up and not cause any excessive ill effects.

It's not a well thought of swap but I can only presume that's because many people are scared to try it.

Take a look at here....

http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=898

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cust...o7-hybrid.html

Anyways seeing as I had most of the parts in the workshop and the Sapporo turbo engine and box make for an easy and cheap fit for a "Mark 1" build I'm quite excited to try this and see what results I get. Even if I end up suffering heat soak problems or otherwise. I will still by then have the Evo 340MR wiring, fuel, cooling and piping installed so making the jump up to a full Evo 8 block and supra box a much more manageable step.

The pulleys served no other purpose but to fuel my stoke at this point :lol:

LOoks great man, I always wanted a sigma. One of the other cars I wish we got state side.

Whats the plans for the rear fenders?

Quote Originally Posted by city hunter
    LOoks great man, I always wanted a sigma. One of the other cars I wish we got state side.

Whats the plans for the rear fenders?

Thanks man. The Lancer EX axle pushes the rims out a little further and the SSR's need an umbrella so I'm going to fab some blended in metal flares similar to the Shato Toyota GX's you often see. Then the same for the fronts too. I should be able to get a nice fit once the 4 link is in place on the rear axle.

Something similar to these but with a slightly nicer profile ....

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&sou...80187912001401

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&sou...80187249293051

Now this brings back memories, had the (almost) same model car (only in faded crappy blue). She was a 1978 Galant SS, Inherited it from my dad when he passed away. It had the 2.0L Astron engine. Right to this day I still kick myself for letting my mom convince me to sell it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread BTW.

No need for apologies Gene, I'd have been restoring her and making her as clean as yours looked had it not been for the previous owner selling the original engine and box. Thankfully he decided to sell before butchering her more to fit a horrible V8.

An American V8 into an old JTIN, now that would have been blasphemous. Really hate it when people do that.