Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My new DR30 50th Anniversary Edition!

My new DR30 50th Anniversary Edition!

Hi JNC community!

I want to introduce myself and my recently acquired 1983 Skyline RS-X Turbo DR30, 50th Anniversary Edition. I am usually a BMW guy but I've always loved vintage Japanese cars especially Skylines. Suffice it to say, this is new territory for me. I purchased the car locally after I saw it posted on Craigslist. I have wanted a Hakosuka for a while but once I took a look at the DR30's awesome 80's styling and great original condition, I couldn't let it go.

After bringing it home, I contacted the Prince-Skyline museum in Nagano (helps to have a Japanese wife) and was happy to find out that only 400 of the 50th Anniversary editions were ever made, making it a rare bird, especially here in the US. I'm not sure if there are any other ones in the US so if anyone knows please chime in. Another reason why this car is special to me is that it was imported in 2010 from Fukushima, Japan which was one of the hardest hit areas of the March 2011 tsunami. If it hadn't been imported, it might be at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean right now. It's truly a "survivor".

For now, I don't plan on doing too much to it given it's original condition and whatever I do, it will be easily reversible to go back to stock if needed. I will be ordering lowering springs from Jenesis and maybe some Volk TE37v's in the future. If there is anyone who has Jenesis lowering springs on their ride please post a pic so I can get an idea of the drop. I'm also debating if I should get the side decals.

Looking forward to learning much from the JNC community. On to the pics!

BTW, for the DR30 owners, a couple of dumb questions: 1) Where does this part fit in the trunk? I think it fits around the spare tire but I can't seem to figure out exactly how. 2) Where do the horns live in the engine bay? Mine aren't working for some reason.
    Many thanks.

Re: My new DR30 50th Anniversary Edition!

that is so awesome/clean!!

i'm going to moving to WA (Everett) with my HR30, we def gotta meet up at some point :tu:

far as the horns go, they are on the right and left sides, kind of down in the bumper, kind of under where the lights are. can;t help on the trunk piece, my car is stripped haha. tho it looks like it goes on the right or left side to cover those massive dips

for suspension, r31 units will pop right in (tho the brake caliper pcd is larger...100mm) or you can swap in s13 goods. i'm not too keen on the s13 swap as it puts the tie rods at an extreme angle and messes with basically every geometry (IMO...works fine for many). i currently have R31 house X ZEAL coilovers with r32 gts-t brakes. drops right in. if you want to stick with springs the OEM struts have replaceable cartridges iirc. i actually have a set of s13 rsr coilover rears and a practically new set of new kts s13 fulltap rears with some custom made fronts with cusco camber plates if you're interested haha

Hey familycar,
    Thanks for the response. I'll probably stick to springs for now to keep things simple. When are you moving to WA? We should definitely meet up since we wouldn't be too far away. It be great to see another classic Skyline in this area.

Very clean. Nice to see more DR's

I'll be there by first week of febuary :tu:

my car is the polar opposite of yours haha. i don't think i have anything on the car left unmodified in some way lol

That's cool since you can give me some ideas. It'll be a great contrast between stock and highly modded.

Looking forward to seeing your car in person.

Does anyone know where I can get a front wheel bearing kit for the DR30 in the US or whether one from another car would be compatible? Thanks.

When I did my front brakes they were 84 300zx parts. So if you pull it and check to a z31

Nice, you got the one from Ishii. That is one nice dr30. Even the wheel wells were clean. I look forward to seeing it out and about. I have one that hasn't been on the road for a while but come next spring it will be roaring around the Seattle area. Familycar you coming to Washington? We got to have a r30 meet, I'll bring my buddy with a bad r33 vspec full hks build......we're are my ghost factory stickers! Lol.