Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1972 PRESERVED 510, not restored

1972 PRESERVED 510, not restored

This is my 1972 preserved 510. She is 99.5% original as she came off the show room floor. Never modified, never restored. She has around 115k verified miles, 47 first place wins at 47 shows shes been registered at. Im the 2nd owner, the original owner Arthur Hughes passed away last december from cancer . He was like family, i kind of considered him as a grandfather figure. He bought her new in 1971 from Brasso Datsun, he went up and down the west coast from Vanc. Bc. to shows, and was a very well known and well loved man in the pnw datsun community. He loved his car, and i love his car..my car...as much as he did, because i want to make him proud and let him always know that his car is being taken care of as he took care of her. I love this car because its my last link to him, and she is knicknamed Art after him. Here is pictures.

Good old Art and Arthur together.

She is one of the most verifiable stock / preserved 510's in the usa / canada. There have been a few lately that have magically popped up with supposebly super low miles, but no history to back them up, or the body, paint, or other details dont match what is said about them, but Art is one that is verified with her history, and has been called by many as one of the most preserved 510's out there. I know of truthfully one other 510 in south califorina i beleive is where the owner is, that is on equal grounds for being preserved like Art is (the dealer owned car in canada doesnt count to me since it seems like the odometer was rolled back since the dash has been opened, and its a dealer owned car thats not been on the road in over 15 years) Some have said she should be in a museum, and maybe someday i will donate her, but for now i love taking her out to shows, and i beleive she should be driven, and enjoyed, as art would of done with her.

Re: 1972 PRESERVED 510, not restored

15 year ago photos.

I'm not much on all-original cars, but I am glad this car went to someone who will keep it as Art would have. :tu:

Neither have i been john, but ive known this car since i was 5, one of the first 510's i truly remember growing up, same with art, so this car has always been special to me, and important it stays as art wanted it. Now my other 510 i get to mod like crazy, but it stays old school To many people doing ka and sr swaps its taken the fun out of putting a newer motor in when everyone does it, seems more unique to have a l series under the hood nowadays LOL.

Truly stunning!! :shock:
    Now I on the other hand absolutely loooove unmolested, preserved and original cars. And this just ticks all the boxes!
    It's of course even better because the car is actually driven, used and enjoyed on the road as any classic really ought to be. There's not much coolness in having a perfect classic if it only gets pampered in some climate-controlled high-security lock-up and never sees tarmac. :roll:
    Love the history too and how your staying true to how Arthur wished to present and enjoy his dear 510. Keep up the good work... :wink:

Thats how i feel. Yes i could trailer it, and put it in a climate controlled shop, but whats the point, shes great as is, i love getting behind her wheel, and just going out for 30 mins around the city to cruise and get looks and thumbs up from everyone. To me the point of having a car, either modified, restored, or the very rare preserved like mine, is to drive it and enjoy it, you get no true fufillment just letting it rot on a trailer, to me those are not show cars, they are just giant babies that if taken on the road for real, will most likely break down, and fall apart because it has not been maintained like i do my cars. Why when i see cars like that win at shows i think pffft, of course its going to win when its not a car, its a freaking center piece on the dinner table. I know 1 510 thats supposebly more preserved than mine, and the red preserved one in califorina, its in canada at a nissan dealership, and has been in their showroom, not started, moved, or anything for 15 years, and has only 18k on it, but my old man even said its a turd and mine is in way better shape, that it just had lower milage...but still i dont consider that 510 in anything, because its a museum piece, all it is. If you tried to take it out on the road now after sitting so many years, it would be nothing but problems left and right because it was not maintained on a regular basis. Most show trailer cars are started for a total of less than 5 minuites their entire trailered life and always kept on a battery tender. I drive mine so much theres no need for a damn tender LOL

Beautiful! Glad you're taking good care of her!

cool.
    Is there a youtube video of the car ?
    Also, any itch of doing a tranny swap ?

A tranny swap would take away from the preserved NEVER restored aspect of the car, this thing is popular because not a item has been changed on it, do that may as well throw a sr20 swap, add some huge 20's with camber and burn some nos!

Quote Originally Posted by danfiveten
    A tranny swap would take away from the preserved NEVER restored aspect of the car, this thing is popular because not a item has been changed on it, do that may as well throw a sr20 swap, add some huge 20's with camber and burn some nos!
    I couldn't possibly agree more...!