Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The stuff that Dreams are made of... (1997 Honda Dream 50)

The stuff that Dreams are made of... (1997 Honda Dream 50)

Many of you have read up on David's Honda Dream 50 from his thread here:
    viewtopic.php?f=34&t=18171

And also a friend who picked up a Dream 50 as well like here:

Well, that guy was me! I've been wanting to make a thread for quite some time but never got around to it because I moved back to Tokyo and had to wait more than a few months to finally shipped the bike to me. Now, I got the bike at my new place and hit the ground running on upgrades, tuning, and full on engine bore-up kits! I will be trying my best to post what I did, how I did it, and why in the following posts. Many upgrades and tunes I, sadly, didn't take pictures of but I can do my best to recreate what I did. More importantly, I have tons of info on the bore-up and fun numbers like torque specs. and how to break the head bolts... :roll:

So as it stands, it is a 50cc with a bore-up to 89cc via Takegawa kit. IT has high cams and a full race exhaust from S-Precision. The rear shocks are cheapo auction style but do the job well and front fork outer springs are (maybe) S-Precision as well. More to come!

Re: The stuff that Dreams are made of...

Yes!
    I've been waiting for you to post this up! Can't wait for more!

Cheers,
    David

Im jealous.

looks fun.

Sorry for the long wait, updates coming tonight (Japan time)! Also found out there is a Honda race shop near my place, with a Dream as well as old authentic race tanks and goodies. I will see if I can get an interview going for JNC!

So, as the story goes, I wanted to get a Dream50 after seeing (and sitting) on David's bike. We had talked about him selling it to me but in all the talk, he found a renewed interest in the bike and decided to keep it. I hit the web to see if I could find a shop selling one that wasn't too expensive (over $2000). I checked online auctions, used dealerships and low and behold, there was a bike for sale very close to where I worked, and for about $1800 listed.

David and I went over to the shop to take a closer look. At the time, I had never driven a bike nor even a license to own one yet but knew i needed something. The bike ran...so-so. It was chattering with evidence of a tired engine (43k km/h on the Odo) and was less than perfect. We talked the seller down a little bit and decided to think about it. I was fighting all my urges not to buy on the spot. That turned out to be a good call. A month and a half down the road, after trying to find a substitute that wouldn't eat up all my money in repairs for months and months, we tried the seller again. As it turns out, they hadn't sold it and were in talks to have it put up on Yahoo Auctions by a brokerage house. After some clever acting, good negotiation skills by David and his lady, it was bought for $1500 with a year's worth of insurance thrown in!

The ride back to David's garage was harry for him but we got it back. (bone stock)

As I said, the engine was pretty tired and kick starting it too many kicks and a little luck. Within a week, we replaced the oil pump with a high flow Takegawa pump (had to drill out a passage that was a whole mess involving stripped bolts), new oil filter, fresh Honda oil and it was running much better! The engine still had a valve slapping sound but at least it was running! By that time, I had gotten my license and riding began!

The carb was also a definite source of trouble. I got a hand me down from David since he recently upgraded his carb and the bike was even better! So much fun and freedom!

Another week went by and more parts were coming in to either prevent future breakdowns or little dress up parts. I am a big proponent of having working brakes. I decided to order all new pads, brake lines, and brake cylinder rebuild kits. They may have not been needed, but I wanted to have the best I could get as a new rider. The crazy story of the brakes is coming next....

In the mean time, here's one more pic to tide ya over:

Yes it's in an apartment. On the 11th floor. 2 minutes from Nagoya station.

I've done a lot of interesting things in my life, but I can safely say that on your balcony was the first time I've ever sat on and started up a motorcycle 11 stories in the air!

Yes, It's surreal to ride it (briefly) out of a room on to a balcony and see the Nagoya skyline. It was a thrill for a few of the ladies too

Quote Originally Posted by Sideglide
    Yes, It's surreal to ride it (briefly) out of a room on to a balcony and see the Nagoya skyline. It was a thrill for a few of the ladies too
    I couldn't help laughing while reading this, lol.

I love what you've done with the bike, it looks great! The gold rear shocks really set it off IMO. Hope you enjoy it.

I left off with the brakes. As mentioned, I always make it a priority to change/refresh the braking system with any new vehicle purchase. With cars, it was a brake fluid flush, new rotors and new pads. With the bike it was new fluid, new pads, new lines, and newly rebuilt master cylinders. The rotors looked OK and may have been replaced previously by the amount still left on it after 43k. I decided NOT to get new caliper pistons but I DID get new seals for them.

I ordered all the parts and in a week they were in. I went to David’s place since that is where my bike was being stored at the time/all the time (sorry Dave!). Since the calipers were coming out, and I’m an artist at heart, I decided it needed some metallic gray paint as well to hide the tired looking calipers from the day of light.

Honestly, the rebuild of the front and rear master cylinders were a piece of cake! I decided against buying the $150 repair manual cause, how hard could it be? That mentality works 90% of the time. Next up, I hit that 10%. While rebuilding the calipers, I took out the pistons and, stupidly, installed the fronts backwards. The piston is a cup-shaped piece of metal. The “bottom” of the cup should slide into the caliper first. I slide the “top of the cup” in first. While I didn’t know it at the time, it was going to be the bane of my existence for the next 3-4 hours. With David’s help, we started to bleed the rear (easy) and then the front…taking its sweet time….then more time…..then more time…..more bleeding…and more, and more, and more…. What the hell!!

No matter what we tried, the caliper still seemed to not get primed. Hands started to cramp and brains started to twist. I hated the brake lever. My enemy! Finally, after getting angry, then more angry, we realized the piston was reversed. Instead of the brake fluid pushing from the bottom outwards to put pressure on the brake pads, then rotor; the piston was acting as a cup and just slowly filling with fluid just like a cup does. Easy now right? Nope.

The next step was to get the pistons (2 for the front) back out. Since they didn’t have pressure built yet, they were completely nestled inside the caliper. There was no way to pull them out. We had to pump MORE fluid into the caliper until the pressure finally caught up and began to nudge them outwards.

One side was starting to move faster than the other, I was able to get one side out, flip it around the correct way and install back in (so the system would still hold pressure to get the other out), and worked on the last one. That one came out after getting a strip of rubber to grip the tiny rounded piston that still barely wanted to come out and play. Got that flipped and installed and everything was finally buttoned up.

All said and done, the floor, our clothes, hands, and pride was soaked in brake fluid. My brain had trauma from this experience but at least my body would survive the road haha.
    The front:

The rear:

A look of painted caliper from the rear: