Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 71' KGC10 "Hakosuka" resto/mod

My 71' KGC10 "Hakosuka" resto/mod

Hey guys! First time post, long time lurking and now its time to introduce my new addition! My name is Jeff I live in the Big Sky Country of Montana. This is my first "nostalgic" Japanese car though I have a extensive background in all types of Japanese cars.

I picked up the 1971 Skyline from only the best- JDM legends in Utah. From beginning to end I could not ask for better service, the guys over there are very thorough so you know exactly what your getting. It was a very big commitment and they made it much easier. The car was exactly as described and honestly absolutely a dream. Thanks again Ryan and Eric! Without further a-due here is my new KGC10 Skyline!!

What you see when your pulling up to JDM Legends, a lot of people describe it as the gates to heaven, I believe this to be true and once you get inside and see all the amazing classic's you will be truly amazed.

Re: My 71' KGC10 "Hakosuka" resto/mod

Congrats! I love them without the wing.

Looking good! Is this the one that still had the L20? What are your plans for it?

NIce

I'll get some more pics up soon, but yes she has the basically stock L20 but she's strong and a blast to drive! Has some qwerks that need to be ironed out, but overall for a 42 year old car it drives great. Starts fast and is fairly simple to drive (thorough I had severe difficulty on the test drive.)

Brought her home in the trailer not wanting to chance a road trip, but after the weekend we put on a couple hundred miles both on and off the highway with no problems. Other then the brakes are on my first thing to-do list, along with a carb cleaning I think the accelerator pump is barely working or not working at all.

As for my plan you ask, I'm very eager to dive into this car, but also want maximum time on the road. So I'm gonna slowly address these smaller issues so i can for now enjoy driving it. But long term goal is to keep the L20 there is something about it that I just love, might be the idea of how it was at one time winding up the curvy roads of Japan idk maybe I'm crazy but I like it. The body on the car is gonna be the main issue. It has some areas that are a major concern, it shows signs of rust on the lower fenders, rockers and quarters. Which is normal for these cars but just briefly looking into the car on the ground the interfenders and underbody alarm me because they seem to be almost to clean, the previous owners restoration involved a lot of fiberglass and it seems like it's been recently undercoated. So I'm hoping they removed any rust before they applied this fiberglass/undercoating. I will get some pics of these areas that concern me to get your guys opinion.

Welcome to the family!

As much time effort and money the Japanese are seemingly willing to spend on engine, brakes, and/or suspension - they apparently are not for the most part so inclined with bodywork.

I think all of us on here can attest to some form of fiberglass over untreated rust on all of our cars.

Comes with the territory I guess

It'll be interesting if in 5-10years some of our now Foreign-owned cars are for sale with proper bodywork repairs & the Japanese enthusiasts come outside Japan to buy them back...

Btw I'm digging yet another car without GT-R badges... Is yours a GT (manual windows) or a GT-X (power windows)?

[quote="
    It'll be interesting if in 5-10years some of our now Foreign-owned cars are for sale with proper bodywork repairs & the Japanese enthusiasts come outside Japan to buy them back...[/quote]

It's already happening in California.

Thanks Eric! She's a GT, so just manual windows. Which I'm glad for when a see how fast the wipers go.

Kind of had to sit back and laugh last night was a rodeo with it. Had to drive it up and back to the insurance office about 10miles each way in about 79 degrees in rush hour traffic and got my first taste of overheating and "brake fade" which felt like complete brake loss! So once I made it home me and a buddy pulled the wheels off and bleed out the brakes. Made a big difference but still a little off.

Also while having the car on jack stands I decided to peak around to see what I could see. It appears my car was probably restored between 10-15 years ago but someone did a "Quality New-Used Car" fix up on it recently in Japan. There's several things, the new undercoating type stuff which they must have had some spray gun or basting tool to apply, because it's literally on everything under the car. I guess that to be a few years old because while some of it looks brand new other parts are flaking and rust coming thru. The next weird thing I found was on seams that rust was coming thru it seems they just put white out over top to jazz it up, the last sign of it being recently refreshed was the wheels have a fresh coat of spray paint.

Overall I think I've got a good car and it is definitely worth working with. As far as some of the body is concerned it's gonna be a more fix it as it comes type deal. Other areas are gonna need to be addressed quicker. I only found a few areas of bad rust. But hey it is a 42 year old car. I think I've got it pretty good!

Welcome again, fellow GT owner... My car left the factory in Nov 1970 as a white automatic GT coupe, was then painted silver, and then red and somewhere in its 43 years acquired the 5spd and 3liter motor

I've got quite a bit of patched over rust in my rear wheel wells and my rockers look to be more bondo than steel... Like you said, all in due time!

Word of advice, first time you bring it to your local shop and they put it on a lift make sure you watch where exactly they jack it from... They've probably never seen a Hako before and while those sheetmetal boxes between the frame rail & rocker where the floor pan meets the firewall might look structural, they most certainly are not !!!

Front & rear subframes are safe
    Rocker beam under car is awfully narrow

Jack with care!
    Or get ramps...