Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Desert TE51!

Desert TE51!

Hello JNC,

My name is Nick. I'm 17 years old, live out in the PHX, and I just picked up this 1979 Toyota Corolla.
    55k on the odometer, and 5-speed.

PO said the engine was rebuilt recently, and that he went through the entire fuel system.

Problems right now: the brake lights and indicators don't work, the windshield is cracked, driver-side window doesn't work, dash is cracked, tint is peeling horribly, wiring is a mess, no radio, gauges don't work (only speedo), and a few other things.

I picked it up from some small town called Oracle. It was late and I didn't want to risk driving the 90+ miles back home after dark, so I dropped it off at a buddy's house in the nearby Tucson for the night.

I will update and take more pictures tomorrow!

-Nick

Re: Desert TE51!

Thats a great find! Not many of those body style around. Yeah, post more pics. would love to see more.

Ps.
    Make sure that when making that trip to phoenix t check coolant levels and that engine operate on normal heat range b4 making that trip. If If coolant reservior boils over take out thermsotat and replace b4 driving off for phoenix. If u say that only speedo works. Check fuses maybe some are just blown. U would want the other gauges to work to be on the safe side.

Thanks! I messed with a couple fuses, and got some of the gauges, brake lights, and the tachometer to work. I can't tell which fuse is which though because I'm missing the fuse panel :td: The coolant is nice and healthy, but my temp gauge is still not working.

Another thing: I'm having trouble with the ignition timing. The car is backfiring badly, barely accelerates, and dies when I come to a stop. I tried setting it last night, but the timing mark is way off. When I have my distributor advanced fully, the mark is barely on the timing guide. Do I just need to re install the distributor? I'm not driving it back until I fix this.

Oh, and this: I filled up the tank yesterday, and it was leaking! It was leaking from the top-right of the tank, looking in. I have it circled in blue:

Anyways, here's some more pics!

my buddy's Z31

I have no idea what the white buttons do

messy

"damn, I wish I had one of these!"

-Nick

Love the body styles on these sport coupes. Looks like you have some work ahead of you with this one.

PS- can you send me those steel rims when you get new ones? 8) I think they fit the car well.

Nice find! If you need any help I live off of Gilbert and Brown in Mesa.

love the car, body style. props for saving this beauty

thanks for all the love, guys!

I went down to Tucson yesterday to rescue my little coupe. I replaced the cap and rotor, and spaced the plugs. That made it at least idle. Timing is good. I was able to determine my problem: my secondary barrel isn't working properly. Even when I force the throttle plate open, no gas comes out. I'm thinking it's because of a vacuum leak, and misplaced vacuum lines. Because of this, it has hardly any power. We ended up flat-towing it home (140+ miles). I'm currently rebuilding a spare carb, so hopefully this will be all it takes to get it running!

stopping for an eegee (Tucson icee) before we take off!

my view for 3+ hours

back home, safe and sound!

my two JNCs

state of the workbench

More updates will come!

-Nick

flat tow! omg. Should of done the spring flip to make your secondaries work like a mechanical setup. Carb is easy to rebuild, only mine ended up running too rich and I went with a Weber. Love your car, and cant wait to see it progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Skellington
    PS- can you send me those steel rims when you get new ones? 8) I think they fit the car well.
    +1, I love these steelies, wish my Celica had come with a full set of them. It's remarkable how similar your dash is to mine.