Thread: lowering an aw11 makes me miss my EF8

lowering an aw11 makes me miss my EF8

So im on an AW11 forum and im sick of asking about lowering it and getting douchey track guys saying "why" and not anwsering my questions. so i decided i'd ask here.

so im doing a shakotan style build so i need to slam it on its nuts. I've read that the ground control/koni strut combo yields only 1.5" of drop max. i was wondering what my other options are here. i want at least 2" 2.75" would be best.

does anyone have any experience on lowering an AW11 on K Sports? I know they go the lowest for Hondas.

Re: lowering an aw11 makes me miss my EF8

I have never attempted to get my cars as low as possible, but it would seem to me that you need to find a shorter strut insert for all four corners and use some type of weld on coilover sleeve. The amount of drop you can achieve is not determined by the type of coilover used but rather the amount of travel you have. You can place the coilover sleeve as low as you want on the housing to have any level of adjustability you want. Time to measure and weld.

Once you get a classic Toyota where you want it, you won't miss that Honda!

so what part exactly would i be cutting?

and i guess i shouldnt say i miss it. i just miss DDing it because its sitting next to my mr2 getting a huge build done on it.

http://youtu.be/8Q7xUSNRyLI

this guy shortens his struts

Yeah, that video gives you a good basic idea of what you would be doing. The idea and procedure is pretty much universal but the amount you cut out of the housing depends on desired ride height and strut insert choice.

To give you an idea and shamelessly post pics of my ride, here is what you can achieve with shortened struts. Here is my RA29 with 2 coils cut out of the front springs.

Struts shortened 30mm with GC coil overs. Perch was welded on so that the top of the coil over was about .5 inches below the gland nut(heh heh, I said gland nut)

Car now sits like this, don't mind the missing fender, doing some metal work on it. I could go lower, but would need spacers for the wheel as the rim is close to fouling the coil over. Also, the header is only about 1-2 inches off the ground and the roads around here suck.

Okay, shameless plug eneded. Biggest issue is going to be finding the shorter strut inserts that will work with your car. Something from the Honda crowd may work. Just figure out what length, compressed and extended, that you need and go from there.

okay i watched that video this all makes a lot more sense. so when i cut the strut housing would i have to put in a spacer like he did?

depends on the size of the strut inserts you get. i think his were a little too short so he put the spacer to make it snug

i was thinking koni adjustables. good quality i dont want have to do this every year.