Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road trip to save this car

Road trip to save this car

So I have a pretty full on FC3S track car for race day - but what to drive on a Sunday afternoon cruise?

Road trip this weekend to pickup this

Been watching this a while. After a few drinks in the workshop the boys have to endure me crapping on about how I want to build a 70's style Cosmo coupe. Well this became cheap enough to do something about it. My FC3S track/tarmac car is ok - but the RX5 is retro cool can't wait to make it a period sort of tough street car from this coupe.

I like the stance on this - although I keep thinking bolt on flares, chin spoiler and rear duck tail spoiler like a 240k Kenmeri Skyline. Silver and black maybe.?

Anyway, it's a long term thing hope to have it up and running in 2-3 years. Just a cruiserfor the street with and old school JDM track flavour.

Now for some rims in 4x110 I like................

Re: Road trip to save this car

Quote Originally Posted by Jmsbnd
    Now for some rims in 4x110 I like................
    Very noice!

Forget the 4 x 110 PCD....the RX-5 is 4 x 120. Makes it that much harder to find! :?

Cheers,
    Danny

Thank you for saving the old girl! :tu: 8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jmsbnd
    I like the stance on this - although I keep thinking bolt on flares, chin spoiler and rear duck tail spoiler like a 240k Kenmeri Skyline. Silver and black maybe.?

DO EEEEEEEEEEET.

yahoo will be your friend for 4x120 wheels.

I say keep it blue and go black under chin spoiler and black boot bobtail spoiler with Shelby style matt black stripes and black bolt on flares

Good luck on the purchase man

Thanks for the replies guys. 4x120 awesome.............I had some from an old Honda Coupe 9s project and I sold them. 14x8 deep dish enkei focus wheels should have kept them!!!!!

I picked up the car today. Left at midnight from Hastings Vic - drove all night to Adelaide. Met Alex the old owner (great guy) loaded the car and headed straight home. I am pretty tired but Very Happy.

Also I noticed a JNC Sticker on the rear window too!

Anyway, going to sit down and start planning some wheels and get it on club reg. Then the fun begins!

thats a swwet ride you have mate looking at that red one makes want me want 1! :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by RestoreMaz
    red RX5s look great! is it RX or 121?

Yeah 121. Iwould have taken either 121 or RX5 they both fit the build idea I have - the hard part is getting a good one! I have come up with a plan for where I want to take it after thinking it over.

#Get car ready for roadworthy and club rego.
    This may end up meaning for now another 4 cyl in there to get it through and any basics it needs. Just want it in my name the same how I did my RX7.

#Wheels (4x120 oh how I miss the pain).
    Looking at the performance minilites. Can be drilled to the PCD for me. If anybody has an idea on the max width/offset front and rear let me know. Want it like the clean low red car earlier in my thread. Not going to flare it it's more a clean street look I want. The body is just too clean!

#Suspension.
    Looking for similar stance as red car above. Prob not going to coil over - just get the springs either reset or new ones as it's all near new anyway.

#Interior.
    Where do I start? So much awesome 70's style . Steering wheel is mint and real timber i just realised - it stays, but the blue interior will go. Looking to do black vinyl for the whole lot and recover the dash pad. Charcoal grey carpet and black headlineing to finish it of. Friend had an RX3 sedan same style as a kid it looked really classy. Back to manual windows too.

#Engine/gearbox/diff.
    My friend Simon who came over to get it with me wrecked an RX4 a few years back for parts for his car. He comes to the party again with all the parts to get the motor in there. Even has the 13b out of it. It was running 7 years ago - so it should rebuild just fine. After much thought I am going to go "J" port. I did consider turbo 13b, but I have that in my FC race car already - for this I want that matching motor for the look of the car. Plus everytime I hear one idling I love it. Just a tidy motor, 48 webber or something matched to a 5 speed manual. I need to do more homework on what LSD to run, or even spool/lock it so open to ideas here.

#Paint/Exterior.
    I am doing this last. The body is REALLY tidy, so this lets me get the car sorted mechanically and enjoy it a little. But when the time comes I have the following in mind. Battleship gloss grey outside, Black wheels with polished lip, Black front lower chin spoiler (240K style). Should look quite angry but subtle.

I am going in to work shortly to give the engine bay a major pressure wash. The engine does not start (Alex told me this - it made some frightening noises when he turned it over for us) so just going to use the mother of all high pressure washers at work to get it cleaned up making working on it easier.

I will have many questions along the way - so if any of you can help jump in and let me know.

Update picsd over the coming days.

Cheers,

James.

As an old owner of blue one ill be looking after this thread so i know whats happening with my baby-blue. I'm glad that car going to some one who appreciate it and willing to finish what i started. Just hope that in couple of years time I'm going to buy one of this again and do it up all the way.