Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX32 rear on AE86 coils

MX32 rear on AE86 coils

Thanks to hsitko for the tip on using the AE86 FRONT coils to lower the back of the MX32. Found a generic set on ebay cheap, and yes, the lower pigtail matches the stock spring so it sits perfectly on the lower perch! The cut spring coil is too big so it was moving and making nasty sounds when I hit any bump. The car sits lower than I would like, maybe the Camaro shocks will help a little, they're next. Thanks again bro!

Cut/AE86/Stock

Sittin' on the perch

Down and done...

Re: MX32 rear on AE86 coils

I have heard this many times over the years " such and such shocks make my car sit higher/lower etc.".
    But for the life of me I can't see how this happens. It could be right, maybe I just don't understand how shockies/dampers work :?

Have a good one....John B.

I figure 35 year old factory shocks have lost some juice...they do feel kinda dead. I'll see what happens...Gabriel makes a coilover shock for Camaro...looks interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbles
    I have heard this many times over the years " such and such shocks make my car sit higher/lower etc.".
    But for the life of me I can't see how this happens. It could be right, maybe I just don't understand how shockies/dampers work :?

Have a good one....John B.
    You are correct. Dampers/shocks will not affect a vehicles ride height unless they are air shocks or load helpers.

Any shock/damper that us JNC'ers would be installing on our cars serve one purpose only and that is to control the speed of spring movement. THEY DO NOT BEAR ANY LOAD. The reason that "stiff" shocks make a car ride rough is not because it increases effective spring rate but that it prevents the suspension from compressing quickly.

Hey, that doesn't look like it turned out too badly. Can you get a wider profile shot? Did you change the panhard rod too?

You're right though, that does seem to sit a bit lower than the hstiko's, are your springs stock replacements or lowering springs for an AE86?

Thanks for the shock info. I had air shocks on my Chevelle back in the day, but it was the 'look'...not the best to make the shock carry the weight of the car!
    The springs were 1.5" lowering springs...I'll try get a profile shot for ya.

Well hello everybodies! NO replacing shocks will not have any effect on your ride height! Your ride height will be controlled exclusively by the spring. You could always come up with a spacer for the top of the spring where it meets to the body. Basically just a metal ring. You could even use the old springs and cut off a complete coil, heat it up and turn it into a ring. Get creative! Glad that this is working out for other people. The ride height would be way rad with not oem wheels on there. I'm very happy other people are having fun with these awesome old cars! MX32 FTW!!!

Thanks for the tip! Yeah, a metal donut...perfect! haha.

Just bought this 1" spacer on ebay...1" lift the easy way, sits right on the top coil...perfect.

Sweet, update us on the ride height when you slap em on. Looks like I just found my rear suspension solution as well!