Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda Design Chief Working On New RX-7

Mazda Design Chief Working On New RX-7

The problem is that just because he's working on it, it doesn't mean Mazda will buld it. Hopefully it will get the green light. If you want people to start spending money on cars again, you've got to give them cars they want to spend it on.

story

Administrator
    Yea, I read about this today too, and it's got me a lil excited =D

I hope this is the beginning of a Japanese sports car revival!

I think, and I know I'm going to get some flack for this, that Hyundai kind of already started an affordable rwd japanese sports car revolution when they introduced the genesis coupe. I think we are going to start seeing alot more affordable, fun sports cars coming out of japan in the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by shane_lxi
    Hyundai kind of already started an affordable rwd japanese sports car revolution
    Maeda says the new RX-7 will move further upmarket than its predecessors
    No worry that a new RX-7 will follow the affordable sports car revolution, the designer states it's not going to be affordable.

The only remaining question is if Mazda will follow their Tentacle Manga styling with this car, like they have with the rest of their redesigns, or if this car will not follow that trend and look good.

Administrator
    The Nagare school of design has produced some real headscratchers, but there's at least one beauty:

Maeda says the new RX-7 will move further upmarket than its predecessors
    No worry that a new RX-7 will follow the affordable sports car revolution, the designer states it's not going to be affordable.

quote]

Mazda just doesn't get it then..... the expensive close to $30, 000+ price tag of the FD is what killed the RX7 in the 1st place..... along with the 300zx, Supra, MR2, Stealth and 3000GT. Japanese coupes that lost the affordability coupled with the fun of the original RX7 and 240Z. :roll:

I'm worried about the next RX-7 going upmarket, too. It sounds like they're thinking of repositioning it as a competitor to the 911. There's nothing really wrong with that except that it's not what the RX-7 was originally supposed to be: an inexpensive sports car for the regular guy on a regular budget. Mere mortals can't afford a 911. But maybe Mazda thinks they've got the inexpensive sports car thing covered with the Miata.

miatas are bad-a for sure, but no rx7. Mazda already has a crazy selection of overpriced coupes, I think if they built another fair-priced rotary mazda fans would be all over it. If it has a 911 price tag, I guarantee you it's going to flop.

Quote Originally Posted by ben
    The Nagare school of design has produced some real headscratchers, but there's at least one beauty:

I have to admit, having seen it in person at NAIAS a few years back, it's absolutely awe-inspiring. I never thought I'd even like anything with lines like that, but I saw that car and was simply blown way the hell away. Amazing car, and no photo could ever do it justice.

My idea for the next RX-7: build a coupe off the MX-5 platform and put in a Renesis rotary and a 6-speed manual. Simple, inexpensive to develop to keep costs down, and it gets back to the idea of the RX-7 as an inexpensive and fun sports car.