Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to appraise a classic Toyota

How to appraise a classic Toyota

So I'm moving on and selling my Corolla but I'm having trouble figuring out what to ask. I've heard all of the typical answers like "only worth as much as someone will pay" etc.

A search online hasn't yielded much either. Anyone know of a resource for appraising older cars such as Kelly blue book or anything? I've looked through some of the for sale threads here and they're all over the place. Any info provided would be appreciated and I'm sure others could benefit from the knowledge as well.

1979 Toyota Corolla SR5
    81,192 original confirmed miles
    5spd
    black interior
    tons of new parts and repairs, everything works as should

Re: How to appraise a classic Toyota

Nice ride bro! Maybe this will help!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... ack/Values

That price guide seems real low....especially considering the condition of the Corolla being sold, maybe that's a good base price for a car in average working condition.

Maybe so, But considering that this model yr & corolla is not as "popular" as a let's say 1970-74ish peanut or mango or even the ever popular AE86 in the end it's all about how much someone wants to pay, and right now many want to jump on the classic JDM wagon Just because they are rising in popularity... As far as I say California is concerned anything smog except is even more desirable but that's my opinion. GLWS.

I would start high and go from there. I've seen cars like yours go for between 5000 and 8000. I wouldn't let it go for anything less than 4,000 though. It's a really beautiful car, and if I got your car for 4,000, I'd feel like I ripped you off. So that is my two cents. I don't think there is a legit way to appraise a car like this anyways. The posters above are right, TE51's aren't as popular. But then it just means you set the price.

Quote Originally Posted by cnister1
    Nice ride bro! Maybe this will help!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... ack/Values

I had seen this but I had several problems with it. For starters is doesn't allow consideration for the SR5 package which included extra options nor does it consider specific mileage or condition. NADA just lists the RETAIL suggested price for a 34 year old car with assumed mileage and condition for the age. Not really a detailed or useful tool in my mind considering if you went off the standard 12,000 a year average they expect the car to have 408,000 miles by now, I'm a couple 100,000 below that...

Quote Originally Posted by loquendo
    I would start high and go from there. I've seen cars like yours go for between 5000 and 8000. I wouldn't let it go for anything less than 4,000 though. It's a really beautiful car, and if I got your car for 4,000, I'd feel like I ripped you off. So that is my two cents. I don't think there is a legit way to appraise a car like this anyways. The posters above are right, TE51's aren't as popular. But then it just means you set the price.

Thanks, yeah that's around the range I've seen for decent condition, low mileage or restored cars. I've even seen a few high mileage (more than 150k) Corollas selling for around 3 on craigslist. I think I'll jump somewhere in the middle of those two numbers and wait for a buyer that will appreciate the car not wrap it around a pole doing some "mad tyte driftin"

Having been in the muscle car/pony car field back in the early 1990s, I can sympathize with your issues. Back then the differences between models* could be worth 1000%, now the extreme of that might even be more.

* - Back in 1970 - 1970 Mustang 6 cyl coupe with 3 speed... $2200 when new, 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a 428SCJ, 4 speed... $3200 when new.

1990 - 6 cyl Mustang $500-$1500. Mach 1 428SCJ - $15,000, $25,000

Present day - 6cyl Mustang - $1000 to $2500. Mach1 428SCJ $40,000-$80,000

Nice examples of any model... garner nice price tags...

ONLY judging from the photos, ASSUMING the entire car is as nice as these photos... Start @ $12,500

I know... it SEEMS ridiculously high... and it just might be... but *IF* it is as clean as these photos suggest, it means the car is perfect... and a perfect example is worth far more then the run of the mill example.

For perspective... I wouldn't ask less then $15,000 for my AE71 aka Surreptitious

Quote Originally Posted by oldeskewltoy
    Having been in the muscle car/pony car field back in the early 1990s, I can sympathize with your issues. Back then the differences between models* could be worth 1000%, now the extreme of that might even be more.

* - Back in 1970 - 1970 Mustang 6 cyl coupe with 3 speed... $2200 when new, 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a 428SCJ, 4 speed... $3200 when new.

1990 - 6 cyl Mustang $500-$1500. Mach 1 428SCJ - $15,000, $25,000

Present day - 6cyl Mustang - $1000 to $2500. Mach1 428SCJ $40,000-$80,000

Nice examples of any model... garner nice price tags...

ONLY judging from the photos, ASSUMING the entire car is as nice as these photos... Start @ $12,500

I know... it SEEMS ridiculously high... and it just might be... but *IF* it is as clean as these photos suggest, it means the car is perfect... and a perfect example is worth far more then the run of the mill example.

For perspective... I wouldn't ask less then $15,000 for my AE71 aka Surreptitious

Well the car is by no means perfect, there are little dimples and pin sized dents here and there, it's by no means show paint it's not a crappy maaco job either. I think somewhere in the middle is where it belongs. It's a great daily driver or weekend cruiser. I'd love to see it go to a home that will enjoy it now let it sit and rot. I used it as my daily driver.

As far as appraising goes I'd also suggest http://www.searchtempest.com/ to anyone looking to check market value and going prices. It's a third party search engine that will perform a nationwide Craigslist search. This is helpful so you can not only see cars your may be competing against but shows you what others are asking as well.

assuming its as clean as it looks, you can most likely get alot for it with the right buyer. apparently when i wasnt home some guy walked into the garage and asked if i would sell my 79 Supra, kiddingly said 10 grand and i guess he immediately said sure. and its got a bit higher mileage than your Corolla. so apparently theres a market for everything

best bet in my opinion is get it professionally appraised and dont be in a rush to sell. id guess a average person would probably give you around $5k for it, someone looking specifically for a 79 rolla maybe +/- $1000 more. list it for something like 8 grand or considering offers because you know someones gonna lowball you