Thread: Seat reupholstery options

Seat reupholstery options

Hi all.

Is there a common source out there for replacing the original vinyl material on seats? I called my local upholstery shop and he said he doesnt have a source for direct replacement material. So I either need to find a catalog or source with original vinyl or I need to find a replacement that matches as close as possible.

this is for A 79 TE 51 in tan.

Re: Seat reupholstery options

http://worlduph.com/

i believe they can offer material. pity they only do covers for European cars.

Been in the trade over 36 years, only available vinyl I've seen was for Volkswagen...and even that is getting scarce. I just gonna redo the whole interior of my Cressida.

you can usually get something that's pretty close, Mazda guys here in Oz got hold of a material for R100 seats, it's usually not the colour or style of vinyl thats a problem, its the embossed patterns on headrests etc that can be painful to replicate.

Exactly, most vinyls and fabrics from the factory are not sold to the public. Finding the exact pattern/texture is the hard part, that's why small section/panel repairs are tough. You may find a color that's close, or do a major search on the web and hope you get lucky.

This won't do any good in Oz or Pennsylvania but here in Southern California I went to my local Evans Upholstery shop in Lawndale [I think, boundaries are confused here] and bought an auto vinyl pattern called "Wallaby" that was an exact pattern match for my 1967 Datsun. Moral, check the Yellow Pages or equivalent for upholstery supplies and pay a visit. You don't know what you will spot on the rolls of material! Local Adult Education classes occasionally feature furniture refinishing and reupholstery classes. Their instructors are a gold mine for where to get upholstery, vinyl or fabric, materials.

Good tip, when my supplier didn't have any VW vinyl, I called around...an old shop here had a roll from the 70's. Was that Wallaby a Keyston vinyl? Sounds familiar.