Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Going to Japan to buy an old skyline...

Going to Japan to buy an old skyline...

So I've been planning this for awhile, the plan is to take a trip over to Japan and search out my very own hakosuka and bring it back to Washington. I've looked throught the auctions and places online but I really want to go find my own. My reason for posting is to ask for any tips and advice from anyone who has done this or lives over there and what are some realistic prices of cars for sale over there.
    Thanks
    Zack

Re: Going to Japan to buy an old skyline...

The good news is the exchange rate is starting to work in your favor. You've saved 15% by not buying it 12 months ago.

Prices vary wildly depending on age, condition and modifications. For a GT you could spend as low as $13k and as much as $38k. I think your biggest issue with doing yourself in person is the language barrier if you don't speak Japanese and the dealer doesn't speak English. Sometimes you run into Japanese that don't even want to deal with non-Japanese if more than food is involved. But you may meet some that are very friendly and helpful and willing to work through everything. I met a Subaru 360 restorer/dealer that was very nice and I visited for a couple hours, but he spoke some English and I have passable Japanese if I make an effort. I would do some research and line up someone to help you out...

Good luck is all I can say...

find a broker or dealer to work with you. save money and frustrations.

^^ so the plan is to come here and just look around for a hakosuka? is it impossible, no. just much easier ways to go about it. there are many websites (goonet for example) has hako's right there. they even ship cars...also jdm legends is right near you iirc. their pricing is actually on par with what you find here. actually, it's cheaper than your plan and the car would already be legal.

i get the joy of finding a needle in a hay stack, but living here, i can tell you your plan may not be possible with out some advanced planning on some known hakosukas for sale at the very least.

here's example of avg pricing on a mint condition/fairly modified hako: http://www.flexnet.co.jp/detail/shop/ze ... 210082282/

another, cheaper; http://www.flexnet.co.jp/detail/shop/ze ... 579331758/

Yeah, I concur. I'm using JDM Legends for my Skyline. They do all the paperwork and deliver it to you with a US title for a flat fee, and they will check everything out on the car as well. While it certainly would be fun to scope out Hakos in Japan, unless your Japanese is up to par, it will probably be difficult getting it and setting everything up without someone to help. Even if your Japanese is good, you would still need help with the paperwork, deregistration and shipping. But if you have a broker in mind ahead of time, going and picking out your Hako is entirely possible. After travel and accomodations, it won't be any cheaper than buying it from here, but it would be an adventure for sure!

... and I am not even sure you can buy a car here without being a resident, or at least having a resident agent. Perhaps an unregistered car? Furikomi might be curious too without similar, they ain't gonna take a check! Neko.

^ that as well.

well he could buy the car, depending on the seller. tho honestly, on top of all the other things already mentioned, i HIGHLY doubt ANY dealer or private seller would sell a hakosuka to a tourist (unless you had some kind of connections).

i'd come here for a trip, maybe give it a shot. but i would just go thru jdm legends or some other broker liek FEAST if i didnt already live in japan, save yourself some heartache. not trying to be a dick, just trying to shed some light on the reality of how it is.

I'd agree with the fellas and say that while it's not impossible, the deck is stacked against you

(Neko, if I get any of this wrong, feel free to correct )

Firstly, most Japanese don't sell their car privately, they mostly dump them with a dealer. So there isnt the equivalent of a newspaper that you can buy, full of for sale ads.

Secondly, the cheaper cars tend to be at auction (which you won't have access to, since they are not open to public) or dealers out in the countryside. So if you're just landing in Tokyo for starters, you'll find that the classic car dealers have relatively high prices, and you won't find any bargains. If you lived there, and it was your weekend project to venture out to check out cars, then that's a different matter, but I'd say as a tourist your options are limited.

That said...if your budget stretches to purchasing a car from a Tokyo dealer, then I guess all you have to do, is visit a few Tokyo dealers, pick out a shortlist of cars, and then reach out to a car broker who has a guy in Tokyo (I think these guys might have an english speaker living Tokyo) and they will do the rest.

Two Tokyo dealers that come to mind are Red Megaphone and Biko Works.

Here's what those dealerships have in stock:
    http://www.kurumaerabi.com/site/car/zaiko/13545/
    http://www.red-948.com/src/search/stock ... 0&type=car

This is nice, at Biko Works for US$33k: http://www.kurumaerabi.com/site/car/info/13545/12/
    Reed Megaphone has this for US$43k: http://www.red-948.com/src/search/stock ... &shop=1330

If that's what you want and can afford, then you might be in luck...although you have to understand that classic car dealerships are rare in Japan, and so even in a big city like Tokyo, you may only have a few Hakos to choose from (and what if you don't like any of them).

Going through someone like JDMLegends before your trip, would mean that you have the whole of Japan to search from, and you have a much better chance at scoring a bargain Hako from that little dealer in a little country town. Maybe after you pick your car, you take a little trip to check it out, and have a little vacation, but to just go to Japan to find a car *during* a vacation, may require JDM-skills that are fairly advanced
    Hidden Content Originally Posted by datsunfreak
    No Kev, you are eating a duck fetus.