Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1976 Subaru 4WD wagon

1976 Subaru 4WD wagon

now I don't know how you guys think about modifications to old old school subies but here goes

I have had this 76 for over 6 years now and used to drive it daily and also rallycrossed it too. But I have for the last few years had it parked and used it every once in awhile until recently. The reason why it is no longer a daily driver is because of I have it as a project vehicle and have a couple newer (ok almost new) subaru's to drive. My original plan was to drop in a dual range 4wd tranny from a 81 brat and a EA-81 engine with a wild concoction of modifications including a turbo and EFI (this is not all). Well that was when I had a 83 GL wagon. I gave the 83 to a so-called friend cause he was in need of a car for work and gave him 1 stipulation. I was resealing another motor to drop into the 83 at the time I gave it to him and told him to be careful with the car and keep an eye on the oil levels. Well what does he do? He blows up the motor while hotrodding and being neglegent. So the decision was made to go EJ with it. Which in luck I got a call from a good friend that his friend with a 98 Impreza L just wrecked it and was offering it to us for $400. So I now have a EJ-22 w/ AWD 5sp tranny.

And with that behind me now, here is why I was wanting to modify it.

I wanted something even more unique than what I have right now. And also want to rebuild it with safety and performance in mind so I can run it in rallycross again. So in a nutshell. It will be sat up as a Rally Car but have the civility of a daily driver too. (Even though there will be racing bucket seats, 5pt. harnesses, and a roll cage.) And (the wife wants me to do it) have it so I can show it too.

I have the EJ test fitted and very minor modifications are needed to fit the motor all the way in (and if I ever want to drop in a EA-71/81 (it originally had a EA-65 1300cc motor in it which is not original for the car) it will still be able to be bolted up and ran.) and the tranny has been sat in but there are some modifications in the x-member and also the tranny tunnel to be made and also new shift linkage system using the original tranny configuration.

The saga will continue and I will post updates if you guys approve with what I am doing.

Oh and another reason why I am doing this is due to the fact that the whole car is not all original and it is missing quite a few things (and being that it is a 76 there are not many places that have parts cars left) so I want to just make it my own and also will have to fabricate a few things too out of sheet metal, steel, aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber (possibly some kevlar too).

Here are a few pics...

Administrator
    Welcome, wagoneer! That sounds like an awesome project. Is it already decked out in WR Blue?

Neeto!
    I hadn't realized you were in such an intense project.

well here are somemore photos at another site that is more wrx oriented but they are getting a kick out of seeing this car being modified

http://wrxmodders.com/forums/garage.php ... le&CID=104

hope you guys can see that or else I might have to get the images onto photobucket to show it off

sweet lil wagon :P

thanks and hey is your GSR blue in color?

nope in yelo

ok cool now I know 3 Kiwi GSR owners lol

nice wagon.. :lol:

thanks, update is there is no update lol, still living at the inlaws and it is still parked in storage over at a friends vacant house right now.