Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Domestic Car Owners Compared To J-Tin Owners.

Domestic Car Owners Compared To J-Tin Owners.

Re: Domestic Car Owners Compared To J-Tin Owners.

I agree wholeheartedly. I think brand loyalty is fun but sometimes it goes overboard and really marks the difference between someone who is a true enthusiast and someone who isn't.

A while ago I posted this to a traditional hot rod forum I frequented:

**!!WARNING!! UNPOPULAR OPINION FROM NEW GUY**

[previous post] underscores what I see as a major problem with the traditional hot rod "scene."

I hang out with what you guys would probably call "ricers." I've spent many late nights in the garage, just like you guys, tuning and tweaking. I've spent a good percentage of my adult life hanging around gas stations with other guys just chatting about cars, just like you guys. I've helped friends paint cars in their driveways, just like you guys.

My friends all drive different cars than me, but we all get along, because we like everything. Just because my buddy drives a Subaru or a BMW dosen't make him "wrong," it makes him different. I've got Mazda rotaries, a late-model Mustang Cobra, and a Cutlass Supreme. Some of my best buddies have even more diverse stables than that. What we all have in common is that we are car enthusiasts. We are enthusiastic about cars - all cars. We'll geek out over Curved Dash Oldsmobiles, chopped and channeled Model As, Tri-Five Chevy gassers, GTOs, Beetles, Pacers, Deloreans, Supras, Mustangs, Mitsubishi Evos...you name it. While it may not be our cup of tea, we can enjoy it, and appreciate it for what it is, and the work that went into it.

So when a guy like me parks his RX7 next to a clean traditional rod and tries to strike up a conversation with the owner, it's pretty damn disconcerting when he acts like you don't know squat about cars - or are a lesser car guy - or that your car is a pile - because you have a different badge than him, because you drive "ferrin junk," "Jap scrap," because "you can order the whole damn car outta a catalog"...I've heard it all.

Maybe the next time you're sitting around, wondering what went wrong, wondering who will carry the traditional hot rod torch when you're dead and gone, just remember that you had your chance and blew it. Maybe the next time a kid pulls up in a neon-colored import showing genuine interest in your hot rod, be a car enthusiast and tell him about your machine. He'll listen. And maybe one day, the kid with the RX7 will sell off a few projects and build himself a proper jalopy.

The traditional hot rod forum I hang out at is notorious for that type of attitude

I own a Chevy cobalt as well as my 82 prelude.. but I also have a Toyota symbol tattooed on my arm.. I love toyotas and have owned so many of them from 70s to the 90s.. I loved all my toyotas but I also love my Chevy and my Honda...

But I agree fully I know some hot rod guys that are deadset on sticking to there company

Sounds like you frequent H.A.M.B

Sometimes, H.A.M.B. reminds me of the old SNL skit, 'who's more grizzled?' Everybody trying to prove they are more traditionalist than the other. Still, lots of good stuff over there.

The way I see it..

Cars are like being able to be with multiple women(without the headache).

so if a 1970 Datsun S30 is Yuna Ito

and a 1967 Camaro is Scarlett Johannson

and a 72 BMW 2002 is Sarah Brandner

so tell me..

If you COULD have all three..

wouldn't you?

regardless where they are from... hell they break the bank just the same.. and you still get happiness and letdown on a regular basis.

and this coming from me.. My girls..

holy shit Mr. Vengeance :shock: :shock: :tu:

I can appreciate any well built car. I don't consider those one and only brand loyalists to be true car enthusiasts. It's juvenile to think only one brand is worth even looking at. Of course everyone has their preference, but not at least accepting another brand makes some quality vehicles is just ridiculous. Definitely see that a lot in the American muscle crowd.

I get my panties in a bunch over both of these big time. Neko.

Well, my opinion is that, we as jtin owners have no what's right or wrong. There is no traditional restoration or traditional way to do it. I mean yeah, flares, fender mirrors and slim bumpers, but from there the sky is the limit. No "maching number" superiority complex. No those are not oem, issues, it's do what you want and like it or don't like it everyone kinda keeps there opinions to themselves for the most part. We offer ideas but no "your car sucks because its different" nonsense. My build is a perfect example. It's probably going to piss of mx32 purists but its my car and its a resto-mod anyways and ill do what I damn we'll please with it.