Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cosmos: n. harmonious system

Cosmos: n. harmonious system

I've been playing this one a bit close to my chest for the last while because part of me still couldn't believe that it might actually happen and another part of me didn't want to jinx it. However, it's now definitely happening and while much hasn't happened yet, it's going to get insane over the next few months.

This story starts last year when my parents came to visit. I took them to Classic Car Nagoya because they love beautiful old cars as much as I do. While there, my dad saw a little old car covered in primer and completely stripped. Well, he looked at it and said "I'd like to have that." I laughed and said "Me too". Here's the car in question.

Yes, that is what it looks like (as a side note, the red car filling the bottom corner of the photo is a 432 Z)! As it turns out, while I may have been dreaming of a day I could get my hands on a Cosmo, my father was focused on making dreams a reality. My mother was unsure at first, but I showed her some pictures of a few fully restored models and she was hooked, she suddenly wanted one too. So, a deal was struck up.

All the pieces are there for this one, it just needs paint and re-assembly. The deal was that Classic Car Nagoya would paint it and then deliver it to my garage, where I'd proceed to reassemble it. Now that is a deal that I can wholeheartedly agree to! So, for the past few days, I've been relocating parts!

This was peeking out of one of the boxes.

There were about 30 boxes that I needed to find space for along with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fit in boxes.

So I made some leaning towers of Cosmo.

I also completely filled up one corner of my garage...

... and hung some stuff on the wall.

The dash made it...

... along with the epic instrument panel.

Now some keen-eyed viewers will have noticed that the boxes all say L10A. Some of those keen-eyed viewers might be thinking something like "An L10A is the Series 1 Cosmo, of which there are only 343, but this car can't be a Series 1 because it has the Series 2 nose." Interesting story actually. Apparently, the Series 1 Cosmo had some serious overheating issues due to lack of airflow to the radiator, which is probably what led to the improved Series 2 shape.

This car happens to be a Series 1 with a Series 2 nose grafted on to help with the overheating. That means that it comes with the 0810 engine and matching 4-speed transmission, the shorter wheelbase, and that huge rarity factor. There can't be but a handful of Series 1 Cosmos still around. I kind of wish it still had the Series 1 nose on it, but finding one of those would be like finding the winning lottery ticket floating around on the street.

I still need to move some more things to my house like the engine, transmission and rear axle, but for the most part, all the parts have made their way to their new home!

Expect more updates on this as Classic Car Nagoya starts prepping for paint! I can't wait!

Cheers
    David

Re: Cosmos: n. harmonious system

Beautiful and super lucky! I recognized your garage floor.

Following with interest!

Good luck, parts are super rare and expensive from what Ive seen but such a nice car so it all seems worth it!

Not too long ago I just went thru your whole 360 post and loved it. Can't wait to see how this one goes. Such a beautiful car.

Epic Epic Epic!!! I love Cosmo restorations, they just give me hope that one day I'll own one! Good Luck!!!

Can't wait to see more

Holy cow! I'm incredibly happy for you and jealous at the same time! A Cosmo...ANY Cosmo...is among the Holy Grails of Japanese sports cars, let alone an L10A! That's seriously amazing!!!

Wow!!! :tu: :tu:

Thanks for the comments everyone! The Cosmo is right up there with the 2000GT, 432Z, and Hako GT-R in my book (although they don't command nearly as much money as those three). I guess that means I need to buy the 432Z that Classic has sitting in there next, huh.

Too bad I don't have a spare 60 grand laying about...

Back to the Cosmo, I got to drive an L10B a while back and it was one of the best driving classics I've ever had the pleasure of being behind the wheel of! Here's the one I got to cruise around:

I'm really excited to see how this thing evolves. I will have a bit of a hard time putting it back together as I'm not the one who took it apart, so I'm not intimately familiar with how everything should go back together. I'm also going to have to rebuild the engine, so I may need to lean on some of you rotary experts on here for help with that!

The more I dig into the differences between the L10A and L10B the deeper the story gets. For example, my instrument cluster has a tachometer that is x1000 instead of x100, which is an L10B tacho. Same for the speedometer, it's an L10B speedo. The seats also have headrests, which means they are L10B seats. I found a really excellent site that lists all the differences between the two here:
    http://cosmosport.net/cosmo9.htm

My quick and dirty translation of the differences:

The front grille on the later model is larger, although there are a lot of L10As with the L10B grille on it.

Item - L10A - L10B

Length - 4140mm - 4130mm
    Width - 1595mm - 1595mm
    Height - 1165mm - 1165mm
    Wheelbase - 2200mm - 2350mm
    Tread F/R - 1250/1240mm - 1260/1250mm
    Weight - 940kg - 960 kg

HP - 110ps/7000rpm - 128ps/7000rpm
    Torque - 13.3kg/3500rpm - 14.2kg/5000rpm
    Max Speed - 185kmh - 200kmh
    1/4 Time - 16.3s - 15.8s

Front Grille - Vertical slits - Large opening with brake cooling
    Bumper - Long rear bumper - Bumper rubber on front and rear
    Fender Mirror - Chrome - Body Color ('68/'69 available with chrome)
    Side Marker - Round - Oval ('68/'69 available in round)
    Speedometer - 200kmh - 240kmh
    Tachometer - x100rpm - x1000rpm
    Hand brake - On passenger side - On driver side
    Hazard flasher - Not equipped - Equipped
    Parking lamps - Not equipped - Equipped
    A/C - Not available - Available as an option
    Seat headrest - Not equipped - Equipped ('68/'69 not equipped)
    Assist grip - Not equipped - Equipped
    Battery - Located in trunk - Located behind passenger seat
    Brakes - No brake booster - Brake booster
    Tires - 14 inch - 15 inch

As you can see from the pictures, this Cosmo has several things that peg it as an L10B, so this weekend I'm definitely writing down the VIN number and checking it! The story goes that Classic Car Nagoya received two Cosmos at the same time, an L10A and an L10B and the L10B was sold as a parts car. So, if I were to venture a guess, I would say that someone had an L10A that needed some work, so they bought an L10B parts car and sacrificed a large majority of the parts to bring the L10A back to life.

At any rate, I will definitely know more by this weekend!

Thanks again everyone for the comments!
    Cheers
    David

David, the gap between the door and rear wheel arch is the key. That is where the extra body length is. Narrow dogleg, L10A. Wide dogleg, L10B.

regards
    Jonathan Barr